Helping Senior Citizens Reveals Past Apple Lapses and Recent Improvements

If you want an all-in-one device like an iMac, yes, this is a problem. But maybe Apple will re-introduce the 27" in the future if there is demand.

If you just want a modern Mac with a big screen, however, consider getting a Mac mini or a Studio and a large 4K screen from a third-party vendor. For example, here’s Dell’s UltraSharp 4K displays. At $656 for a 27" screen, $920 for a 32" screen and $975 for a 43" screen, that might be a viable option. And that’s just one example of one series from one vendor - there are many many more displays to choose from.

On most web sites, you can include the spaces between the words as well, if you like. Easier to read and remember, and adds three more characters to the length.

1 Like

I really want an all-in-one as there is less clutter on my desk that way. I’ll hold onto my 27in (2016) iMac as long as I can. I just won’t be able to upgrade it as it sounds like Ventura won’t work on it.

Consider whether a 24" iMac will satisfy you. That will bring you into the non_Intel future and provide a user experience close to the old 27" iMac.

1 Like

No way do I want a smaller screen. I’ll wait to see what Apple does and then see what my options are.

The biggest issue is explaining to them Yes, it is okay to write your passwords down in a book. They’ve heard so many times this is a bad idea. There’s a famous episode of Ellen that mocked this. If the alternative us reusing bad passwords, yes it is okay.

Once they understand that writing your passwords down in a notebook that’s kept safely tucked away is okay, they’re usually quite relieved. They grew up writing everything important down in a Franklin Planner.

Explaining the problem of reusing passwords is pretty simple. Most seniors I talk to already know it’s bad, but when you have 100 accounts all over the place, what can you do? I mean it’s hard enough for everybody to do, but when you get older, trying to… to… uh… what’s it called when you store stuff in your brain and try to get it back later? Damn. The word is on the top of my tongue…

Giving them a formula for quickly creating a new password is extremely helpful. A newspaper, a magazine, a book. Grab whatever is convenient. Most older people have tons of magazines and newspapers around. And heck yes, romance novels and that catalog for erotic appliances for seniors are perfect.

The other thing I give them is permission to keep a lot of their old reused passwords. Just change the important stuff now: email accounts, bank accounts, utility accounts, Facebook and Twitter. Their account on the Ungrateful Grandkids Blog and The Mamas and The Papas Fan Page don’t really need to be updated.

2 Likes

When I tried the “Increase Contrast” the effects were rather strange. On this page, the grays became pink, then yellow, and at the maximum level the type was pixelated, with most pixels black, but some white and a few other colors. This may be an artifact of usign a ASUS 27 inch HDMI display. I have not tried it with pale gray type, but it is not very usable with my configuration.

I did not try that, but the fundamental problem for me is that smartphone screens do not display enough information to be usable if the type is large enough for me to read without eyestrain. I have the same problem with the AT&T Cingular Flip™ IV, a pathetic hybrid featuring the worst features of dumb phones and smart phones that AT&T sent me when they shut 3G service. When I tried to enlarge the type so I could read the caller number if I don’t have my reading glasses on, it the whole number no longer fit across the 3-inch screen and was at best only marginally readable without reading glasses. Smartphone screens are better, not useful for serious work, and entering data or typing texts is painfully slow compared to touch typing. My wife uses a smartphone and I am impressed with its ability to identify bird songs and plants, but I wouldn’t recommend one as a computing tool for aging people used to working with computers.

Sorry if I’m not understanding, but why not wear your reading glasses then?

I’ve been supporting folks over 50 for decades. I’m now in that range and sadly, my tolerance and patience is wearing thin (at Apple, not the folks).

First question to ask is, do you have an AppleID? (most answer, no, um, I have an iCloud account though. Same thing).
That is critical because when migrating and sending the former, loyal, workhorse to recycling…one needs to disable the device’s iCloud account (requiring it boots) AND remove the device from their account. e.g. Find My Mac…

Some macs you can still put into TBolt mode and transfer off data, as well as wipe it. Also, you can boot from a partitioned external that has various bootable MacOS with CCC or other tools to clone of data, or wipe. (I’ve kept several external USB drives that allow this).

(addendum: some models if you will scrap like Mac Mini or iMac that have spinning media/sata drives, you can remove them and give to the user, or even get a case for them as “backup”. I’ve put date removed on them, and given to the user for their own keeping. Sending a computer to recycling, sans HDD, perhaps for the more technical-adept, is my best suggestion to most).

Lastly, one of the biggest caveats that I am now aware of is that “most” older mac users that need help, when upgrading to a new mac model, will also need an audit of anything else like what/if using a printer and model? Is that model supported by Monterey or newer? Scanners? How old is the router? Do they use timemachine? Etc. Some have kept their older mac and printer (they still work though not upgradable) for a basic…typewriter. Off the net, all apps but those for printing and processing are removed. Big desktop note : Do Not Connect to Wifi.

But seriously, I just migrated a 2011 iMac user to a 2022 24" m1 iMac (she LOVES it!) and somehow before order was placed, I never saw her HP laser printer tucked away in her office. I only saw a Deskjet and I had found drivers that were updated. I was really mad she need to buy a new printer just because HP doesn’t have drivers for that model (nor Apple). She did get 1Password (PLEASE! Do print out the Emergency Kit PDF that has your secret key and line for writing your password. Put a copy in a lockbox/safe/depositbox. You lose that, AgileBits can’t help you. The secret key is stored on the Mac, but the password is not. Ever.) This happened to this user. Fortunately, she only had a dozen pwds saved, and those were written down somewhere so … its a clumsy method to delete the account and restart as you need to contact Agilebits anyway).
Anyway, thank you Adam for your article and helping that couple.

2 Likes

I’ve been recommending iPads to people for their personal computer for a few years. There are simply less issues to handle. Get an AirPrint capable printer (which includes most printers) and there’s nothing to configure. Printer issues is one of the biggest issues I handle.

They can’t accidentally delete some system file. They can’t download malware or adware that takes over their system. If they get a paid iCloud account, everything is automatically backed up. Buy a new iPad, log into your iCloud account, and everything is setup.

Is the iPad a serious computer? Yes. You can run Microsoft Office on it. Get a keyboard and mouse.

Unfortunately, the removal of the Home Button has made the iPad more difficult to use. Too many things have a similar gesture.

1 Like

The “Increase Contrast” checkbox will not change the appearance of web pages (it’s technically possible but basically no web designers change their designs to factor it in), it changes the appearance of system UIs. Other options within the Accessibility > Display pane can change colors of everything displayed, especially “Invert colors.”

I wouldn’t expect the display manufacturer to matter, if the display responds strangely to system changes, turning the display off & on may help.

1 Like

Cataract surgery gave me 20-20 distance vision after over 60 years of being severely myopic and not being able to see clearly more than a foot beyond my nose, and I enjoy not having to wear glasses, and almost never do outdoors and rarely do if I’m moving around indoors (except when I have to look bank and forth when shopping or cooking). However, because I have almost no depth adaptation, I am now farsighted, so I need glasses to see clearly less than about three feet away.

1 Like

Not sure what you mean. I see quite noticeable changes in the color of both web sites and of pages in MS Word and other Apps, and the color changes cause pixellation of the letters at Maximum Contrast, but no change in the size or shape of the letters. Perhaps we’re on different versions of the OS. I’m running Big Sur 11.6.7 on a 2018 MacMini. Or did you mean something else?

My personal computer is also running the latest version of macOS Big Sur. I was referring to using the “Increase Contrast” checkbox, I think you are describing the “Display contrast” slider.

The Display contrast slider does alter everything displayed, I’m not sure how it works, I think it might alter the monitor gamma. I wouldn’t call part of what it does “pixellation” but it does mess up antialiasing at the higher setting, pushing those pixels toward white or black.

I had adjusted appearance and accessibility settings and somehow ended up with all previously gray items (lines, text boxes, etc) turning pink or salmon. It was driving me crazy until I saw this subthread so thanks! (2019 iMac5k 27")

That’s it. I thought the “Display Contrast” was an adjustment bar for Increase Contrast. Thanks.

@ace

For that Mac mini, try booting it into Target Disk Mode and erase the drive that way if it’s being recycled rather than re-used. If the latter, then maybe it’s a mini/display incompatibility (I’ve seen that from time to time, especially with older minis & newer screens).

Overall, I found the article fascinating, especially as I do end up, in my work, helping people dispose of old equipment and the vintage gap you write about is pretty typical from my experience.

Cheers,
Jon

1 Like

Someone else suggested that in Slack too, and it’s a great idea—I haven’t used Target Disk Mode much in recent years, so it had slipped my mind. (And realistically, there’s no huge hurry in erasing these Macs.)

Glad you liked the article too—I wish I could say there are more solutions to the issues that the elderly face, but my experience is that while the problems are fairly universal, the solutions tend to be highly personal.

1 Like

Another longtime fan of Password Wallet here – Visit http://www.selznick.com for service and support! Quickest and most responsive support I’ve ever experienced online. Now if only he’d kept supporting Palm OS devices (sigh) I could bring my copy up to date. But it synch among several household Macs and iPhones, so easy to keep everything else I use updated.

Want to dumfound a youngster? Show’em how eyes change over decades:

1 Like

I get more requests from my older friends (and I’m one too) dealing with reading than with hardware related issues, a simple example is the Mail app. You need the eyes of an eagle to read read anything under the toolbar. Or for that matter the Toolbar customizer menu, I’m picking on Mail because the last question was about it. I understand that the higher resolution your monitor might be the smaller the individual fonts seem to become, but explaining that old folks just don’t care. They just want to be able to read what it says.
Seems to be Apple with all its other accessibility features could address this issue with something other than lowering the resolution of the monitor in use.
Just saying…

1 Like

So, I was born in 1943 and have been using Macs since 1989 (I don’t do Windows!).

Passwords are my nightmare - who can remember them all? So, I have a Text file with them all and it’s stored on my desktop in an encrypted sparseimage. The password to get into this is easy for me to remember, so this all works for me.

Additionally, I’m running an older MacBook Pro with system 10.11.6 - lots of newer software would be nice, but this keeps me from forking over $1K every so often.

Computers are supposed to serve people, not the other way 'round!

1 Like