Helping ckbk Remove Ad Tracking

Originally published at: Helping ckbk Remove Ad Tracking - TidBITS

It pays to speak up. After being introduced to the ckbk cookbook service, Adam Engst expressed his disappointment in the app asking to track and was rewarded a few weeks later with an update that resolved the issue.

2 Likes

Have you considered just disabling tracking all together, or are you using this more as a means to track the trackers? :blush:

Precisely! I let apps ask if they can track me rather than just denying it so I can see how prevalent it is and which companies are engaging in it.

2 Likes

Is your conclusion anything other than “everybody everywhere all the time”?

That’s what it seems like to me. Even my own personal blog tracks me because it’s hosted by Google’s blogger.com / blogspot.com service. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Yes, actually. There are quite a few apps that ask to track, but it’s only a small percentage of all those that I have.

1 Like

A couple of years ago I started using some tracking blocking features in Firefox (Mac, not iOS) and soon ran into problems getting access to many web sites by things like unsolvable Captchas. I did some digging around and found that tracking results are being widely used in security systems, so if they don’t have any tracking data for you, you are considered a risk and likely to be blocked. At that point, I decided that blocking all or most tracking could cause more trouble than it was worth, although I do block some tracking, particularly location when not necessary (e.g. by banks).

I don’t use a smartphone, so I don’t know what’s going on with apps, but from what has been described so far, it looks lime many are asking for much more information than they need. I wonder how much they are used in security systems.

3 posts were split to a new topic: TidBITS cookies