Hackers Steal T-Mobile Customer Data, Including Passwords

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2018/08/27/hackers-steal-t-mobile-customer-data-including-passwords/

There has been yet another big data theft. This time, attackers stole the personal data and encrypted passwords of two million T-Mobile customers. If you use T-Mobile, change your password immediately.

So yesterday I got a text from T-mobile saying that “your personal data may have been captured”. I was still trying to figure out if this was some kind of scam, when it was confirmed. Apparently, I’m one of the lucky 2 million T-mobile customers to now witness what it means that in the US companies have next to zero liability for their customers’ personal data.

I have the 200 MB per month for free plan on my iPad and no other plan with T-Mobile. When I tried to log in at the T-Mobile web site using a Macintosh, T-Mobile said it sent a verification code to a telephone number associated with the iPad, but the iPad did not display anything and it received no message from T-Mobile. There was no other verification method offered. How can I access my T-Mobile account from the Macintosh? (I believe I could change my password or do other things from the iPad, but I want to know how to access the account from the Macintosh.) Thanks.

I had figured that I was not one of the affected customers because I had not received a text message, but if I don’t receive the verification message, it makes me think I wouldn’t receive a text message notifying me of the security breach.

1 Like