GraphicConverter 11 Rescues Ancient QuickTake 150 Photos

Originally published at: GraphicConverter 11 Rescues Ancient QuickTake 150 Photos - TidBITS

After a mention on a mailing list reminded him of old QuickTake 150 photos he had in Photos, Adam Engst went looking for a way to convert them. Unsurprisingly, the answer turned out to be GraphicConverter, though he had to get the right version first.

3 Likes

GraphicConverter and DefaultFolder are the two oldest applications I still run, and both are characterized by -superb/responsive- customer service!

The Fez - Steely Dan - YouTube

What lovely pictures. Besides the Macs (is that the TidBITS server I see on the left?) the Starter Kits bring back memories of discovering The Internet!

1 Like

I echo that sentiment for GraphicConverter. (I donā€™t use DefaultFolder and have no experience there.) Iā€™m probably the most simplistic user Thorsten Lemke has, but he has promptly answered all (two? three?) questions I have asked over the years.

2 Likes

Why, yes, it was a server! Iā€™m having trouble remembering exactly what was on that SE/30 then. (My main Mac at the time was a Centris 660AV; thatā€™s the right-hand Mac with two monitors.) Luckily, I wrote about all this stuff in TidBITS.

However, it didnā€™t run ftp.tidbits.com, which was hosted at Northwest Nexus, apparently on a NeXT Cube, though I never saw that in person.

I found another mention of it running MailShare. It sounds like I had a wonderfully convoluted email system.

Later on, we moved Internet services to an Apple Workgroup Server 6150 (another thing I got from Apple for that white paper, I believe) running WebSTAR and ListSTAR to host DealBITS.

It never ran the main TidBITS list, I donā€™t believe, since we announced in January 1996 that moved from Rice Universityā€™s LISTSERV, thanks to @markwmsn, to ListSTAR on a Power Mac 7100/80, but that was hosted at @glennfā€™s Point of Presence Company.

A few years (and our next house) later, that SE/30 was running LetterRip Pro to host TidBITS Talk.

And in 1999, we switched the main list to LetterRip Pro too, but not on the SE/30, which continued to run mailing lists until we moved to Ithaca, in 2001, I believe.

3 Likes

Great photos Adam :-)

2 Likes

What memories!

2 Likes

Awesome pic, @ace. :slight_smile: The Centris 660AV was a very interesting Mac. But what gets my heart really going is the SE/30. I just love the SE/30.

IMHO one of the greatest Macs I ever owned. So much power! :slight_smile: Remember picking it up at the campus store here in Berkeley after Apple upgraded it from the SE I had originally bought.

Unfortunately, that SE/30 eventually became the victim of flooding and had to be landfilled. Flooding on the 5th floor of a storage unit. Only in Sweden. Good times. :laughing:

3 Likes

I love the SE/30, the place where I learned Photoshop, Quark, book productionā€¦ it was the Mac that joined the Amiga in my heart. I began to make an income and the future opened up.

1 Like

I had a QuickTake 200. Truly lousy photographs, but as you say, a taste of things to come. I used to connect it to a Performa 6400 (incidentally, a supposedly low-end Mac, but capable of rather good upgrades - a G3 processor in the L2 cache slot, an OrangePC co-processor running Windows 98 in one PCI slot, and, I think there was something else in the other slot but canā€™t remember what! Great for playing Marathon!)

These days I stick to film, but scan it into my Mac.

1 Like

so many memories in that collection of hardware and software. That looks like a Syquest drive in there too on top of the Centris. And of course, you canā€™t have an SE/30 with just one floppy drive! I also had a Quicktake 150 and when I couldnā€™t open those imagesā€¦ I think I may have just deleted themā€¦ since they were such low-res I just called it a lesson learned. Good times.

It must have been in a similar time period as the QuickTake series, but someone sent me one of Kodakā€™s first digital cameras. As I recall, it shot in a peculiar widened aspect ratio, and after a few years all its pictures exported with a worsening yellow cast. But this is a message about GraphicConverter. The Kodakā€™s photos were in a proprietary format that could only be read with Kodakā€™s own software. Some time later when I wanted to rescue the photos, the Kodak software would not run on the current macOS. I had an oldish PowerPC Mac with GraphicConverter. This was back when ā€œfatā€ applications could also run in Classic mode. PowerPC GC could not open those pictures, but somehow Classic could convert them to .jpg. I was able to recover hundreds of horris-looking yellowed photos brom another era.

Drifting off-topic. Sorry: My SE/30 (wherever it has gone in this world) is celebrating its 33rd ā€œbirthdayā€ this week. I was able to score one at the developer price, but it was still over three-thousand bucks! I think it came with 8MB RAM and 80MB HD.

Fun stuff. I actually still have a Quicktake 100, and a blue and white Mac with ADB for download. I should drag it out, throw some (a ton of) AA batteries in the external battery pack and see what it does.

1 Like

This article reminded me of an issue I had with some photos that would not sync in iCloud. I had started with iPhoto, then migrated to Aperture, then to Photos with iCloud.

After a lot of diagnosis I determined that all the affected photos had been edited in iPhoto. When I selected the photo and reverted to original it synced fine. For some reason the iPhoto edits prevented iCloud syncing. Fortunately most of my edits were just crops and minor adjustments. Edits made in Aperture were not a problem.

Oh please do.

I have the latest version of GraphicConverter 11. For one of my old .pct files, the image is completely black in Preview. For that one, GraphicConverter can open the image and save it as a .jpg. But for the rest of my old .pct files, when I try to view them in Preview, the top half of the window shows two side-by-side versions of the image with only purple. The bottom half of the window is black. And when I open them in GraphicConverter, I see the same corrupted version of the image. Adam, maybe all of your files were like that one I had with an all black screen in Preview. Does anyone have a tip for converting the other types of images from an old QuickTake camera? (I think it was the 150 model, but it has been so long that I donā€™t remember for sure.)

-Jeff

Adam
Great to hear that GraphicConverter came to the rescue.
I have had similar outstanding support from Thorsten
Butā€¦
As a QuickTake 100/150/200 owner - can you share the solution that was provided?
Many thanks
Brian

Certainly! Hereā€™s the video that Thorsten made for me. And youā€™ll get to see a few more of my photos. :slight_smile:

1 Like

So good, what a great app GC is.

1 Like