FTC Votes Unanimously in Favor of Right to Repair

This is not true. There is NO requirement to stock and sell Apple products:

https://support.apple.com/aasp-program

I know Apple doesn’t manufacture batteries for iPhones, but the batteries they use in iPhones are exclusive to the brand. Their battery suppliers are in China, Germany and India. Apple has worked with all of them on custom battery design.

What I find very intriguing is that during the last few years, Apple has been regularly hiring top level battery technology talent, both from the digital device and automotive industries. This trend has accelerated even during the current Covid crisis. Apple is also in direct talks with cobalt mining companies. But there’s no news about lithium ion miners, and that’s what they are currently using in their batteries. Could batteries be Apple’s next new product frontier?

Maybe this is one of the reasons is why Apple is hiring battery development and product management talent, and talking to mining companies. It might take awhile, but your battery life wishes could come true in the not distant future. I just checked Apple’s corporate jobs site, and there are plenty of battery engineering, testing and design jobs open in Cupertino, and there’s one in Shenzhen, one in Germany.

You are assuming that all independent shops are crooks that won’t stand by their work. While I’m sure many are, there are plenty that will warranty their work.

Again, you have to research the shop you’re using. Just like with anything else you want repaired.

Your hypothetical situation is already illegal and has been since the 70’s. The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits a manufacturer from voiding a warranty simply because a third party worked on the device. They must be able to prove that your work caused damage to the warrantied part before they can refuse service.

This is a different scenario. If you replace a component with an aftermarket component then the manufacturer can’t (and shouldn’t) be held responsible if the part later fails.

But ultimately it is your responsibility, as the person paying for the repairs. If you go to a reputable shop, they will install quality parts and warranty their work. If you go to a shop with a bad reputation that installs parts from questionable sources in order to get the lowest price possible, then you will have to deal with the consequences if it doesn’t work out as expected.

If you want to insist on genuine parts, most reputable shops will be able to source and install them (and charge more than aftermarket parts), and if they can’t, you still have the option of going to a dealer. And if it doesn’t matter that much to you, then you have the option to go anywhere you like.

1 Like

And yet, with all their inexperience, Apple built a device that’s way more accurate than any mechanical watch for telling time. And it comes with a bunch of other very useful features. Anyone buying mechanical watches at this point is buying antiques. I’d never buy one.

It isn’t always easy to find a shop that will live up to the good reputation it might have. A Google search for “paid product reviews” turned up 881,000,000 results. “Get paid for Amazon Reviews” yielded 196,000,000. And I don’t know anyone who had a good experience with an unauthorized Apple shop.

In days of old before had Apple had Stores and repair services, my husband was talked into buying a repair plan by a MacMall sales person for his MacBook Pro, and the service had excellent online reviews. When he did have a big problem, he had to wait over a week for the repair company to send him a shipping box and then had to wait over three weeks to get it back. But the worst was that they sent him someone else’s computer, and that person received his. It took another four weeks to straighten it out. At that time, there was a very good Apple authorized NYC repair company that handled Macs, and they handled warranty repairs. The company I worked for, as well as the company he worked for, used them.

And I know more than a few people who decided on repair shops that said they would use the manufacturer’s parts but ended up not doing so.

I did know that there were mechanical watches that are less expensive than the Apple Watch. Did you know that Breguet and it’s multi-generational endurance was specifically mentioned in a post above and that’s why I was using it in my reply?

1 Like

Alright, this discussion keeps veering into the weeds and not being constructive, so I’m shutting it down.

2 Likes