Facebook bans Signal for simply showing people the data advertisers use

Many of you may have already seen this, but in case not:

I think we all know this kind of data collection is going on, but there’s something about explicitly seeing the detail that was eye opening for me. Ditto for the hypocrisy of Facebook happily providing this information but not wanting the people who it’s about to see it.

7 Likes

It’s quite a genius move by whoever runs Signal’s marketing. The ban only adds to the message. Seen quite a bit of uptake of people signing up to Signal but have not seen that much uptake of actual use.

I recently had to step warily into Facebook again (to confirm shutting down my account) after a gap of some years, and found it all continuing on regardless, the primary online venue for most people I know in real life.

3 Likes

That’s a very smart campaign. And because FB censured them (which they probably anticipated), there will likely be even more talk about it. Kudos.

Alas, talk is cheap.

Everybody is at their leisure to walk away from FB and Instagram (and all the those other nasty players) right now. Close the account. This very moment. Real action, not talk.

All this baloney would be over tomorrow if people just voted with their feet. So nobody tell me they’re on FB or whatever because of < insert excuse here > today, but then complain about surveillance tomorrow. It’s you who has to change this. And since we’ve seen across the globe the extent to which regulation and litigation have reigned in Zuck, we all know damned well by now that it’s walking away that will ultimately be required in order to really make a change.

Yep, after millions of oh-so-witty yet always insightful opinions tweeted, tens of thousands of lines of debate, and all the other blathering, fun’s over. It’s finally time to walk the walk. But you have to do the walking. Might as well get started now.

5 Likes

Media buying and planning for Facebook, Instagram and all their other properties are managed in one place:

But there is a difference in the information collected via video tracking:

TikTok’s algorithm, which incorporates machine learning based on video content, along with human categorization, is highly attuned to people’s specific interests, and it only takes a small amount of usage to learn what will keep you hooked. Which is why you find yourself scrolling and scrolling into the early hours, and why it feels more fresh than your regular social feeds.

And Instagram recently launched its Reels feature to compete with TikTock. But so far it hasn’t gained much traction. What I think is interesting is that although TikTok isn’t happy about Apple’s IDFA, they haven’t gone nearly as ballistic about it. They have neutral sounding guidance on their media buying site:

https://ads.tiktok.com/help/article?aid=10000858

1 Like