Eufy Home Security Cameras Caught Uploading Footage to the Cloud

Thanks to everyone here for the lively and helpful discussion. Two weeks ago I decided it was time to install a couple of cameras outside the house (if only as a deterrent by their mere existence). I didn’t love the idea of paying for yet another subscription to store and access recording data… and wisely visited TidBITS Talk to see what you all have to say about HomeKit-supported security cameras.

I stumbled about this thread and read it with great interest. After devouring it, and more information on the internet, and seeing the excellent results of everyone’s hard work on the data issue, I ended up with a Eufy 2C system – the base station and two cameras. I am an Apple One customer and was delighted to see that my subscription supports storage for multiple cameras. It seems that Apple has increased the number of cameras for which recordings can been saved since some of you posted above:

The number of HomeKit Secure Video cameras you can add to Home depends on your iCloud+ plan.

• 50 GB plan: Add a single camera.
  • 200 GB plan: Add up to five cameras.
  • 2 TB plan: Add an unlimited number of cameras.

Setup of the base station and cameras was easy… very easy. The system works well – the Eufy app plays nicely with the Home app, and I had only two problems, one of Apple’s making, and one entirely of my own making.

1. Sharing the Home – After it was all set up I wanted to share access to the camera’s with my wife, to her iCloud account. It did not work. Eventually I had a call with Apple Support (several in succession, actually, but that’s another story). It turns out – according to the Apple Support person who actually knew what to do – that there have been problems with the Home app and with sharing one’s “home” in the app. Apparently the problems are so bad that Apple isn’t allowing the app to be updated (this makes no sense to me, but that’s what she said). We went though a variety of steps, including logging out and in (and out and in) of iCloud on both of our phones, which takes a while. But in the end it worked well – it works well. It kind of feels a bit magical, even. So while not a great experience… a great result.

2. Mounting the cameras – I wanted to mount the cameras without drilling holes. Naturally this means use of some sorts of miracle 3M double-faced wondertape. One camera stuck nicely – to a smooth metal surface. The second camera – not great on a relatively smooth, but not entirely smooth, concrete (stucco?) surface. It took three tries with three types of 3M double-faced wondertape. It seems that Try #3 has (if you’ll pardon the pun) stuck. Fingers crossed.

— Late-July 2023 update — none of the several (i.e. MANY) types of extra-strong tape worked. I ended up using a strong outdoor-use glue… following the instructions to the letter (apply to both sides… wait ten minutes… connect and press for at least a minute…) then let just the base set overnight. I attached the cameras gingerly the next day… and now they really do seem to be in place for the long haul. Lesson learned: don’t underestimate the power of glue!

Thank you again for the great discussion. Once again TidBITS Talk saves the day.

Jeff

2 Likes