Eight Secure Ways to Share Sensitive Information over the Internet

Thanks Adam and everyone for the info about sharing via 1Password. I use 1Password all the time but hadn’t realised how useful and easy the sharing feature is.

Can anyone advise on a free way to create electronic/digital signatures? I recently had to “sign” a PDF document setting out a contract with a German company (I’m in the UK). They seemed happy with a scanned signature inserted in PDF Expert, and I’ve often used the corresponding function in Preview. But I suspect that kind of signature doesn’t have much legal force, and reading what Wikipedia has to say on electronic and digital signatures has left me even more confused.

The free tier from Verifyle looks excellent for secure storage, but if I understand their FAQs correctly, on the free service you can only sign documents sent to you by a paying user.

PGP is one easy and free solution, of course, and it might even underly some of the commercial services. But I’m guessing most businesses would have no idea what to do with a PGP-signed document. For websites we have LetsEncrypt providing free SSL certificates – not the most secure, I’m sure, but fine for many purposes. Is there any equivalent in the world of document signing?

I have used Autograph on the Mac to create my signature with the mouse pad, save it as a file, and plop that in if they accept an image with the signature (some systems do). I got it cheap as I own some Ten One Design items, but for $3, it has worked well.

The built-in Mac Preview app provides several ways to create a library of signatures to use for image (as opposed to digital) submission. You can scribble on a trackpad, take a picture, or scribble on a mobile device. If you use iCloud Drive, they will be available in Preview on other Macs linked to you.