Don’t Interrupt Security Update 2019-001 (Mojave)’s Installation

This happened to me. The update was beach balling and seemed completely stuck. Foolishly I interrupted it, and it seemed to finish. But the APFS volume was toast. It was not possible to log in, despite the users being present. Recovery didn’t work, as you couldn’t decrypt the volumes, and so they didn’t appear as a target for recovery. Basically it required complete reinstall.

2 Likes

Ouch, sorry to hear it. The problem is that we just had an example where you had to force-quit an install, with the initial release of Catalina, so we as a community are not accustomed to interruptions having such significant repercussions.

Thanks at least for warning us Adam. If Apple isn’t going to take proper care of its users, at least we can count TidBITS to do so.

1 Like

Right on Brother!

Beyond that we’ve totally lost the startup chime that lets you know that the machine is at least waking up. I understand that chime (Boiiing!) would disturb situations in meetings and classrooms where people were firing up notebooks and such. The least Apple could have done was put an option to switch it on or off instead of just ditching it altogether. That was part and parcel of the Mac core experience. It’s not like eliminating a piece of hardware (the ⅛" audio plug on the portables) as the software to make that happen should be just about insignificant in cost on a per machine basis.

Apple had that option built in.

If my Mac had been muted before I started it, the chime would be silenced.

Even in the event that I’d forgot to mute it, or if I shut it down before knowing I’d be starting it in a meeting (not that I ever really shut my Mac down these days) where I’d want it muted, plugging in headphones would also silence the chime. The exception here I’m aware of is on an older Mac mini where the built in chime would play through the internal speaker regardless of headphones being plugged in or not. :(

What I do is disable any scheduled shutdowns, set Sleep to “Never”, then start the Security Update before I go to bed. I wake up in the morning to a completed update and reset my Shutdown & Sleep preferences to their normal settings. However my MacBook Pro with Mac OS 10.14.6 installed hasn’t mentioned any Security Updates recently. When was this SU released?

@ace, you repeated the recommendation last week to not upgrade to Mojave due to concerns with Mail etc. Is that still the case, or we OK to upgrade now (as long as we don’t interrupt the process)? Thanks!

A post was split to a new topic: Problems with installing minor Catalina updates

Yes. This should have been in the article. It’s precisely what I came here to say. I mean, common sense says don’t interrupt. But then you sit and watch for half an hour while nothing happens, and finally start googling on your phone and find that you need to interrupt. I’m a lot more inclined to interrupt after that experience.

I believe the warning was not to upgrade to Catalina until the loss of mail issues were deemed addressed. Right?

We still recommend holding off on the upgrade to Catalina due in part to concerns with Mail. That doesn’t affect Mojave.

Yeah, I debated mentioning the Catalina interrupt issue there, but decided that it was just muddying the issue to have in the main text. Especially, as we can see in the comments, some people are having trouble keeping the versions straight as it is. That’s another downside of all the updates—it’s enough to make anyone’s head swim.

As you say, we know better than to interrupt installations willy-nilly, but we also all do it on occasion when something is going wrong. That’s why I was talking about the BridgeOS issues and the T2 chip—those really change the calculus when updating, since anything that changes them is doing more than just writing files to the boot drive.

1 Like

My bad - sorry!

I have yet to see any software update or download that is remotely accurate in its time-to-completion prediction, on either Mac or Windows (including, of course, OS updates). Part of the reason, naturally, is that the actual download speed is constantly in flux, in the case of my Internet connection, majorly in flux - might be 150kB/s for 30 seconds, then 1Mb/s for 30 seconds, then 500kB/s, etc. (according to both iStat and Folx), on all devices. I’ve long thought that all developers should just ditch the time-to-completion estimate altogether, just use the status bar graphic and maybe a real-time speed display so you can see it’s actually downloading. Not possible while doing a firmware update, but generally.

Mr. Macintosh now has more details.

1 Like

Howard Oakley has a great article on why the screen stays black for so long.

And over in the MacAdmin Slack, user stottmj has a great summary of the situation. Sounds like it can hit High Sierra Macs too, which makes sense, though I hadn’t heard of any being impacted before this.

1 Like

Good explanation.

Sure sounds to me like there would have been much less mayhem if Apple had not removed the tiny LED that indicated your MBP is running. With no indication left to the user, people are assuming it’s off when actually it’s still updating. They then proceed to “turn it on”, which has catastrophic consequences. Really poor design choice in my opinion.

2 Likes

I had a recent problem with an iMac Pro having some bad third party ram (as determined by the Geniuses) but the worst part was the diagnosis process. I would turn the computer on and could only tell it was on by the accessory external drive, which had a small light on it. Of course in working out the problem, I had to unplug all the peripherals to make sure they were not the problem. Then I could not tell if it was on or off as there was no chime and no lights. Modern minimalism taken to the extreme.

2 Likes

Just to add a data point: I have a MacBook Air (13-inch, 2017). After I clicked Restart on the Mojave Security Update the screen went totally black for about 2 minutes, and then (finally) the little rotating progress indicator appeared for a while and then it finally started to look like a normal update with a progress bar. The whole thing finished in about 25 minutes or less.

Am I wrong that it was version 10.14.6 both before and after this update? That bugs me.

1 Like

And that Mac doesn’t have a T1 or T2 chip, so it will theoretically be a bit different anyway.

This is just a security update, so it should stay at version 10.14.6 afterward. However, if you click on that version number in About This Mac, it will show you the build number, which should have increased.

1 Like