Does iCloud Tab Syncing work for anybody on Catalina & iOS 14.2.1?

Here’s another way to see open Safari tabs from another Apple device that I find quite reliable with one extremely nice extra feature. Unfortunately, it does not happen automatically, but its relatively easy to use and maintain once you commit to it.

So, with that mysterious intro, here it is:

On a Mac, the Bookmarks menu provides an “Add Bookmarks for these ‘n’ Tabs” item. On a mobile device, a long press on the book icon provides the same item. Once you select it, you can accept the default location and name (‘Saved Tabs’) or change them. On another device, a long press on the item in the Bookmarks display or sidebar produces several choices, including ‘Open in New Tabs’, thus allowing you to effectively copy them to the new device. When you are done, you can delete the bookmark folder. If you don’t a subsequent invocation of process will create a new folder also named ‘Saved Tabs’.

One thing that has occasionally messed me up is that the location of the tabs folder defaults to the location that you lasted used in manipulating Bookmarks. So, if you have been playing with the ‘Favorites’ folder, that is where the ‘Saved Tabs’ folder will go unless you modify the parent choice.

I have been using this method since I was on Mojave and find it very useful when, for example, I have been creating multiple tabs from emails on my desktop Mac and need to switch to my iPad.

1 Like

Well just today out of thin air it decided to start working again both ways between my main MBP and my 12 mini. No idea what happened. I guess this must be something server side.

[Hope posting this didn’t just jinx it.] :wink: