Does Apple lock Apple IDs on a schedule?

I recently had to help a visually disabled friend recover lost passwords for all his accounts, and Apple was BY FAR the fastest; one within three days, the other inside a week. It took six weeks to recover his Facebook, and most of a month for his Amazon/Alexa/Audible. Many other accounts had to be abandoned and recreated. What an absolute pita. Never, ever put yourself in a position to lose your master keychain password.

Bumping this thread because it is currently relevant to me.

I have had this occur on both an iPad and iPhone several times in the past few days. I opt to get an email. Going through that eventually unlocks my account and I can again access those Apple services. Then, a few days later, it happens again.

I donā€™t use iCloud but I do use my AppleID for iMessages, App Store, and Apple TV+.

I wonder if bringing a new device (M3 24" iMac) online and logging in to the App store to update some items may have been the trigger.

Sounds a lot more like somebody has your AppleID, is trying to guess itā€™s password and failing.

Would I get an email from Apple that there have been multiple unsuccessful login attempts? I havenā€™t received any.

Itā€™s so tiresome. Once in a while when I get that, it actually IS a new computer, but 90% of the time, I have just installed an OS on a drive on some computer Iā€™ve had for years.

I havenā€™t even done that it is the same iMac Iā€™ve had running the same version of MacOS for the last 5 years! Also, Iā€™m now getting messages my Apple IDs are locked and have to keep unlocking them. Probably greedy Tim is trying to force me to buy a new Mac I canā€™t afford.

I donā€™t recall ever getting the locked-ID warning. I hope that trend continues.