Do You Use It? iPhone Weather Apps

I use Met Éireann Weather Ireland which is as good as it’s possible to be about a place on the edge of an Atlantic weather system.

1 Like

I use WeatherPro (not in your list) which displays the information in a way which I find very quick to assimilate. The current Apple Weather app fails big-time for me on that measure.

3 Likes

Another weather app I use that’s not in the poll is Forecast Bar. It’s consulted more than Apple Weather at this point.

Second vote for Forecast Bar. I use Mercury now but it doesn’t have much in the way of notifications (yet?).

I miss Darksky. Apple weather doesn’t work on my too old iPad. Apple Weather just isn’t accurate enough for the short term forecast. I’m better off just looking at the radar map.

There wasn’t an option for a non-us based app. I use the Met-office (Uk government App) as an alternative - it’s long range forecasts are better than Apple but still no Darksky replacement.

1 Like

I have the Weather widget set to appear on the lock screen of my iPhone along side the WeatherBug widget. The Weather widget shows the high and low for the day where the WeatherBug widget just shows current temp. When I choose to open an app and dig deeper, I usually opt for WeatherBug.

I was using BBC Weather for a long time, but these days I use WTForecast which gives me something to laugh about while telling me how good/bad the weather will be today. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I like WeatherBug the most. Where I live, weather is reported for the airport and is often quite different from the weather at my house only 20 miles away.

Earlier this year, WeatherBug started adding home weather stations, which means I can get weather readings from someone right around the corner from me.

For forecasts and radar I also use the local TV station weather (WDTNWeather) along with WeatherBug. I compare what each is showing.

Finally, I use a Facebook amateur weather forecaster when a special weather event is imminent.

I also use the regional NWS website in my area because, in some cases, the National Weather Service seems to offer the best and most detailed information.

Weather Underground. It is just fine.

Big storms are very broad. But most of the time weather is quite local. Having so many stations makes Wunderground excellent for knowing what your particular present and predicted conditions are. And the maps let the users themselves predict the near future local conditions where they are and where they are going: when rain will reach a place or will pass a place.

Adam, something just occurred to me. For the purposes of learning which are the most felicitous apps (weather or any other kind) people fall into five progressively smaller groups:
5- everybody in the world
4- those who read Tidbits
3- those who participate in a survey
2- those who use weather apps; this group includes people who use Apple Weather simply because it is there out of the box, without giving it much thought
1- those who have thought about which weather apps might best suit their needs.

Group 2 (which includes Group 1) gives you an idea of what part of the population uses a weather app.

Only Group 1 provides information about which apps a reader might like.

Of course you know this already.
But it strikes me that the 60% Apple Weather count gives us no information about the relative “goodness” (for lack of a better word) of Apple Weather.

Those who comment on Apple Weather do give us info. Thanks, folks.

[Confession: I, myself, have never used Apple Weather. I discovered Wunderground on my Mac Pro, and then added the app to my pocket computer… er, uh, … to my phone.]

1 Like

Agree on both accounts (good and then got bad when IBM bought it). I understand IBM has put that whole weather business up for sale. I still use the WUnderground website, just not their app.

Oh, on WUnderground’s local stations: There’s a guy down the street from me who’s a ham radio operator. He also runs a weather station that ‘publishes’ to Weather Underground. A couple yesra ago I sent him a “Weather Station QSL postcard” from Europe. It’s great to be able to see really localized weather.

I live in Europe and have used WeatherPro and it’s indispensable companion app RainToday for years. Modest yearly subscription but well worth it.

Yes, I think there are various types of information that come out of polls, and in this case, I couldn’t even begin to figure out what the most popular apps were without soliciting recommendations. Hence the two-part aspect of this poll.

The most valuable part of the entire setup is probably the comment stream, which interested people can read for details and which I can mine for my summary.

Have always found Apple Weather to be an excellent and reliable resource. I love the graphics and it contains all the information I need. I particularly appreciate the air-quality alerts.

I’m going to add to my use of Apple Weather and Carrot equally to say that there are third party apps that I’ve tried, have excellent privacy policies, and have generally liked (Hello Weather, and, more recently, Weather Strip and Mercury Weather), but they’re always missing something that I like in other apps. Hello Weather doesn’t offer precipitation notifications, doesn’t have much weather detail beyond the next 12 hours. Weather Strip has no radar, and, IIRC, no coming precipitation notifications. Mercury Weather has no radar - I’m not sure about the notifications.

That said, I finding that Apple Weather is as good as Carrot for imminent precipitation, has a lot of detail, and I could save money by stopping my subscription to Carrot Weather and subscribe to Hello, just to have another source of predictions and radar.

Is that in part because you’re using Apple Weather as your source in Carrot Weather? I found some discrepancies between the two in that setup with air quality but haven’t checked with precipitation warnings.

No, I deliberately switch to a different weather source. I’m finding that Foreca and Accuweather are ok with oncoming precipitation notifications - they’re equally reliable as Apple Weather and each other - but their future weather predictions can be quite different from each other and from Apple Weather as a source.

The weather in southwest NH has been very strange these last two months. Lots of heavy rain scattered when other people get a quite smaller amount. Though maybe I’m wrong; I know I’m pretty close to @richardlefko and he can probably comment with more accuracy than me.

I have no idea where Apple gets the information for Australia but it’s often in discrepancy with the Government department. I do like their graphics but find the information less clearly presented than other options. Just this morning I looked at both Apple Weather and the local BOM. Here’s the forecasts for the next few days.

Apple Weather:

Screenshot 2023-08-29 at 6.56.04 am

Bureau of Meteorology

That’s some fairly big differences for the same location over the same period.

We’re seeing the same thing here in upstate New York. A meteorologist friend has confirmed that the weather in the past 10 years or so is much more like that than it used to be when I grew up here in the 70s and 80s. We had a farm, so we followed the weather closely to know when we could make hay.