Do You Use It? iPhone 14 Pro Always-On Display

I have it turned on, but ignore it. The phone is in the Apple wireless charger when not in use, so I don’t care.

David

I used to have it on but turned it off. It seemed like it was draining the battery a little too quickly but it could have been my imagination.

Lock Screen can be on REALLY all the time?
Now I do have Auto Lock turned off (I use the phone as a bedside clock), and use the phone’s side button to force sleep before dropping it into my pocket. When I do so, I see the Lock Screen, but only for a few minutes.
Then whatever the phone is set for, the screen goes black

I love always on. Now I can use my iPhone as a clock when I’m doing something else on my iPad (like reading a book). I’ve no issues with battery life while using always on. Plus, my screen is a black & white of my wife. An extra bonus.

If your battery is bad, you should replace it under warranty. The 14 Pro is less than a year old, so the warranty will cover it.

I haven’t noticed any power drain with the always-on display.

There could be some app that is draining power. An app that “phones home” over cellular would be a likely suspect. (Even if you have “unlimited” cellular service, the transmitter takes power.)

Initially I thought I have not much use for an always-on display, but it did turn out to be useful on some occasions:

• Tracking progress of delivery/ride request via widgets (e.g. Uber)
  • Checking the timer and the time

When I do not need to use the display, then the phone is either facing down or in my pocket. In both cases, the display turns off. (How would I know, though?) The battery life is excellent, and far exceeds that of my iPhone 11 Pro.

p/s: I mentioned that I would not be upgrading my iPhone 11 Pro, only to do so not long after as my mother’s iPhone 6 Plus was a bit long in the tooth…

I turned it off after about two days - didn’t really see the point, though ymmv.

I’m surprised at the negativity. I love Always-On. It’s great for checking the time, the weather, battery of my various devices, timers and other background tasks, all on the Lock Screen without having to touch my phone. I’ve noticed zero battery hit to having it on, so why not?

This sounds like just an eye-candy “feature”. Maybe when Apple can have an iPhone battery hold a charge for several weeks it might become useful, but with the abysmal battery life of Apple’s iPhones, iPads,  Watches, etc, it is a down right stupid “feature” to have.

Originally on, but switched off bc of battery and distractions. I turned it on after reading this. It’s nice to look at bc I have a photo shuffle as my wallpaper.

14 pro max here. Always on. I thought I would turn it off but have never felt the need.

Besides, pictures of my pets are cycling through the dimmed screen so always nice when I glance.

I turned this feature off. I don’t see the benefit and 10 years of habitually putting my iPhone to sleep and seeing a black screen is hard to overcome.

I prefer to minimize distraction. I wouldn’t want that screen on when I’m not actively trying to read something from it. In very specific circumstances I would just turn off auto lock for the occasion. I also don’t like reading about any associated battery drain. Waste is waste, will only get worse over time, and I don’t like that.

So I wasn’t planning on turning it on when I get my 15. Rumors indicate this could remain a “Pro” feature anyway though, so likely not anything I’ll be needing to worry about. :slight_smile:

My phone’s lock screen is black with no picture. I changed the font to red. Whenever I set my phone down I can see the date and time. I am retired and sometimes lose track of the days of the week. It is great to just glance at my phone to see the date and time.

1 Like

This made me curious, so I tested it by turning my iPhone 14 Pro face down on a glass-topped table and looking underneath. My testing wasn’t rigorous, but no matter what I did, the Always-On display stayed on. Maybe there’s a delay?

1 Like

I also don’t have an iPhone 14 (I’ve an 8) but I’d like to see a poll on what models tidbit users use to put this poll into perspective.

I’ve got an 8+. It does all I want it to do, but I am wondering if today will usher in an outstanding new iPhone.

The technological wizardry these devices need is bigger batteries. That said it isn’t possible that keeping the screen on has absolutely no impact on the power consumption and I wouldn’t want to add anything unnecessary. To me keeping the screen on is certainly unnecessary. I can’t think of anything I need to see that often that the screen needs to stay on.

I use a wallet case with my iPhone (to each their own). The always on display is not important to me but I appreciate why some use it.

Hah, I guess the glass top did let light through? Now I recall that the display turns off when the Face ID sensor array is covered.