DEVONtechnologies Resurrects Network Utility

Me too! Horrible experience, but the type of thing where you hope you’re doing the right thing for some future version of yourself. :upside_down_face:

Was very happy to see this become available, but I do have one gripe: “Speed” returns rates that are a factor of 20 (downlink) and 200 (uplink) slower than Ookla’s Speedtest app report on FiOS — and I can confirm the Speedtest numbers.

Tried it again a couple of days later, and I get an uplink figure now that is ~ 10% of the otherwise measured value, but a reasonable downlink figure.

Has anyone else seen such discrepancies?

The app uses Apple’s networkQuality command line tool, which I wrote about here. It should have roughly similar numbers, though.

networkQuality -d to force an uplink only test returns the correct figures. The developers might want to think about doing the uplink and downlink tests sequentially by default — as, say, Speedtest does.

1 Like

Is this the full extent of crib notes for the reader exercise referred to in the article:

It requires macOS 13 Ventura, so Macs running macOS 11 Big Sur and macOS 12 Monterey will have to continue relying on Terminal, although developer Jeff Johnson told me you could use an old version of Apple’s Network Utility if you ad hoc code-sign it. That is left as an exercise for the reader.

Unfortunately:

1. I can’t upgrade my ancient iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) beyond macOS Monterey 12.7;
  2. I don’t I do not know where to find an old version of Apple’s Network Utility; and
  3. I don’t know how to ad hoc code-sign it even if I had a copy of Apple’s Network Utility.

Am I just out of luck and condemned to using Terminal?

I imagine anyone with a Catalina installation could send it to you, and codesigning seems to be just a matter of a Terminal command.

https://www.perplexity.ai/search/how-can-i-ad-hoc-codesign-a-ma-ufy.j4AoQqGWUx8k5kzZKQ

It’s also possible that an update to Neo Network Utility will extend compatibility backward.

1 Like

Just try it.

If you need to ad-hoc code sign it, here’s a guide and the command:

3 Likes

WhatRoute requires 10.11 or later (see WhatRoute - Geo-Tracing Software for MacOS X - Download).