#DeathToAutoPlay—No More Audio and Video That Plays Automatically!

(robster) #21

It’s not just the AppleTV app. My Samsung Smart TV also plays previews, actually starting episodes while I’m browsing. It’s completely obnoxious that there’s no way to turn it off.

(Openreels) #22

Yes, Adam! Yes! I managed to disable most auto-plays in the Firefox browser, including Netflix thankfully. But the Netflix app on our LG smart TV does all the crappy stuff mentioned above, including auto-play that seems to have a mind of its own. And very unintuitive; I had to search out how to remove unwanted shows from the “continue watching” list (it’s buried in the personal settings but at least it’s possible).

And thank you for calling out the other UI irritations mentioned at the beginning of your piece! I have to wonder how many are due to a specific effort to manipulate users, and how many are just plain BAD DESIGN? Programmers who are too young or clueless to understand why these behaviors suck… People who want to “fancy up” a website and end up making it hard to use… Everybody copying everybody else’s stupid ideas… And, also, website templates that many people use, designed by those same kinds of programmers.

I have a hope that perhaps website design is going through the same kind of evolution as so much of technology, and that eventually many of the bad ideas will be culled out by “natural selection.” So your campaign to fix Netflix is a Darwinian movement!

For an example of a really pretty nice UI (on a website that provides a useful service) see reelgood.com.

(Adam Engst) #23

Whoa, Reelgood is a fabulous database of movies and TV shows aimed at helping you figure out what you might want to watch on the services you subscribe to.

(Adam Engst) #24

And this is a good point—I’ve now heard from people using Netflix apps on a variety of platforms, and they’re all spitting mad. Samsung, Roku, you name it. The Netflix iOS apps seem to be the best at NOT harassing us.

(jimblohm) #25

Thanks for this discussion, auto play on Netflix is a bother!

All points made here are excellent. To expand on the annoying and distracting- add loud music in retail stores to the peeves of modern life!

I will definitely be calling Netflix support thank you, I recommend calling out the “loud music in retail stores” on social media too.

Jim B

(Ron Gillmore) #26

I think I resent even more their wasting my bandwidth with megabytes of crap that I do not want—That is not playing nice on our internet!

(jimthing) #27

Just phoned NF, they cut me off twice in the process of asking/complaining.
(I used the story of: the rude quotes on previews disturbing my kid!)

They tried to send me to Playback Settings of course, then had to ask for second-line tech. They then say, ‘managers monitor calls for trends in complaints’ (per the article). Doesn’t leave you feeling very convinced this’ll change anytime soon, TBH.

Not bothering again, these types of ‘complain to achieve nothing immediately substantial’ calls, are too much work, especially dealing the staff who are clueless, unfortunately. As “Computer says no”.