Current recommendations for anti-malware software on the Mac?

I stopped using the real-time mode of ClamXav because Activity Monitor indicated it was writing GBs of data to my SSD on a daily basis. I now use it in on-demand mode only.

3 Likes

Actually, on several occasions I’ve had one or the other (Malwarebytes and DetectX Swift) pick up stuff that the other one missed. That’s why I run both of them.

3 Likes

As have I on many occasions. Some of it is just being behind, but in other cases they appear to have different approaches to file removal. The main objective is to disable the malware by quarantining or removing enough of it to prevent it from running and not bothering to completely clean up all the files that are now dormant and no longer a threat. Even Apple’s MRT is guilty of leaving trace files behind.

1 Like

I have both Malwarebytes and DEtectX on my iMac (and 2 MBP) and they work fine. I also have Intego’s VirusBarrier. None of them have indicated anything until last week right after I closed an Amazon window (imagine that lol). I then received a notice from Intego that 2 files were found and put into quarantine as suspected malware. First time that has happened in over a year. I deleted them and I was very grateful that I had that additional layer of protection. Moral to the story: don’t shop at Amazon? lol.

1 Like

Do you happen to recall what these files were? Something that would pose an immediate threat or something that you would have to do something to (e.g. double-click it) in order to activate?

I’m sorry David, I don’t recall. They were in some obscure folder and obviously had no impact on any of my programs as I let them sit there for a couple of days just to see. No indication that I needed to double click as it never appeared anywhere else.

1 Like

I agree—I’m sure a lot of the overlooked dust bunnies are relatively harmless. Still, it feels good to get rid of them.