Considering Setapp

Hi friends. I’m a very long time Mac user, but I’ve never subscribed to Setapp. (The horror :man_zombie:!) I’m now considering it, and am curious what some of your favorite apps, and thoughts of the subscription are?

Cheers.

1 Like

For a recap of what we’ve written about Setapp:

https://tidbits.com/tag/setapp/

3 Likes

I frequently/daily use these (Some are indispensable):
AdGuard
Bartender
BetterTouchPro
CleanMyMac X
Downie
Dropzone
Gemini
iBoysoft MagicMenu
Image2icon
Mate Translate
Movist Pro
Photolemur
PopClip
TextSniper
TouchRetouch
One Switch
Some of these are indispensible

Thanks Adam. I’d read and responded to that article when it was released. :grinning:

2 Likes

Looking at that list, I’ve purchased and use a good deal of them. Could have probably saved some moulah if I’d subscribed to Set App a while ago. :flushed::scream::grinning:

I’m a subscriber, but with the exception of a few marquee apps, I’ve found a lot of the software to be rather mediocre. I’m also not that happy with the way their pricing ramps up if you have multiple devices (as, I suspect, many of us here do). Yet, I continue to subscribe, but not the satisfaction level that I heartily recommend it.

2 Likes

Yes! I’m not particularly happy with their pricing structure either! I have 2 Macs, not 4. I don’t like the idea of paying for 2 additional Macs that I don’t have.

Are you sure? Depending on which apps, you might have actually saved money and if the worst happens and you could no longer afford setapp you still have the licenses for which you paid (assuming they’re not subscription apps) - that’s why I’ve never subscribed to setapp.

2 Likes

I’d never heard of Photolemur, but as luck would have it just yesterday I submitted this to my camera club’s monthly competition. Rather off topic, I realise; but isn’t coincidence weird?

4 Likes

I have about 8-10 apps that I’ve bought and paid for, that are also on SetApp. There are a few others that look like they may be useful to me. If the 8-10 apps that I own were updated annually and I had to pay for that update, then SetApp would definitely save me money in the long run, though I would never actually own any of those apps, as I’m just renting them.

1 Like

I am also a long time Mac user and I recently trialed, then signed up for SetApp. Quite a few of the apps I have licenses for, but there are some that I HAD licenses for that I wish to use again - and SetApp seemed a better deal for me - especially as a few of those apps had moved to a subscription model. Some that I currently use are:

CleanShot X
Craft
iStat Menu
PathFinder
Downie
Soulver
Ulysses
MarsEdit
TextSoap
Bartender
Yoink
Mind Node
Forecast Bar
Houdah Spot
Pop clip
Hookmark
Trickster
GreenBooks

I already own:

iStat Menu
Downie
Soulver
Bartender
HoudahSpot
Popclip
Hook (Hookmark)
and had a license for TextSoap until they updated 2 months after I’d purchased it.

I’ll check out the other apps that you listed. I played with Pathfinder, and tried to like it, but I think the cost dissuaded me.

Thanks for the reply.

1 Like

I have been using Setapp since their inception, I don’t have everything installed that I might use, I add and remove as necessary, their configuration interface is so good in terms of removing / adding programs, options to keep config or not.

A poignant memory of the company, for me is they asked me to do a Zoom survey with one of their staff. It was 2 months before the Russian invasion of Ukraine and an incredibly polite, lovely woman spoke to me, she works for SetApp. She was in an apartment in Kiev which looked beautiful, sitting beside an open old fashioned window, the breeze was blowing a net curtain gently, it appeared as so peaceful. I just hope she is still there and safe. I will always support them.

I am from Ireland btw.

3 Likes