Cloud Storage Forecast Unsettled, with Possible Storms

I have not tried any Dropbox beta release, at least for several years. My Monterey machines, both 12.2.1 (143.3.4090) and 12.3 Beta(21E5212f) run Dropbox 143.3.4090 with no apparent problems except configuration confusion as described previously. This continues a long tradition with Dropbox through many macOS Versions.

I do appreciate your warning about another vendor’s attempt to obfuscate the source of over-subscribed boot drive capacity. (Books, anyone?) My data in Dropbox is My Data on my hardware. There is no technical reason that My Data must be hidden from me. There is also no technical reason that requires any network access to store and use My Data on my hardware.

I finally got around to trying this.

When I tried cd "~/Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs", Terminal said “no such file or directory”. However, Terminal was happy with cd ~ followed by cd "Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs". Go figure.

The file junk did appear, but that did not force an update in the Finder of the folders with the cloud symbol on the line with the folder name. Again, go figure. Clearly, it’s above my pay grade.

It doesn’t like the quotation marks, or the blank between Mobile and Documents. This works better: cd ~/Library/Mobile\ Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs.

It’s above my training level too. I can’t remember exactly what steps I originally took, but I remember the mindset: “How about if I tickle Finder with a new file to copy, and let’s make it an empty one?” I’m sorry I didn’t help you, and if I find myself stuck sometime soon, will try to observe more carefully.

1 Like

Thanks. I expected that it wouldn’t like the space between Mobile and Documents, which is why I added the quotation marks. And your solution works fine. But why did cd ~ followed by cd "Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs" work? It seems that something about the tilde and the quotation marks together was more than Terminal wanted to handle.

Thanks for trying. Not only am I no worse off than before, you reminded me that a backslash can be used as an escape character.

Putting the tilde inside the quotes means its special function, (~/ means “Substitute $HOME/”) is not recognized – the same reason putting Space inside the quotes hides its usual meaning to the shell.

The following should work:

~/"Library/Mobile Documents/com~apple~CloudDocs"

The ~/ is outside the quotes, so the shell recognizes it.

2 Likes