Choosing an email client app

Using Migration Assistant I recently migrated a very large Mail collection from a desktop running El Capitan to a new MacBook Pro 16 (Catalina 10.15.3).

Every single email on the MacBook ended up empty/blank and with no header information.

Although I had archived all email in DevonThink Pro first, I found that I could simply copy the entire Mail mailboxes folder over to the MacBook, and then use Mail’s “import” feature, and that worked fine.

1 Like

I found that I could simply copy the entire Mail mailboxes folder over to the MacBook, and then use Mail’s “import” feature, and that worked fine.

Was the status (read/unread, etc.) of the messsages preserved?

For me the status remained correct, but of course I can’t say whether it always would or not in other situations. It’s easy enough to just try on a few mailboxes first if you want to know for sure.

1 Like

I am another Postbox user, and quite happy with it, and Outlook. As a result of restoring my system from a backup, Postbox is now my main email app on my MacBook Pro (Postbox just carried on getting email, whilst Apple Mail is asking for verification again.) My only quibble is that email that has been checked by Mail on iOS devices is not being marked as read in Postbox.

So, I am now looking at reorganising which accounts are checked by which apps and devices, with the aim reducing Mail to the minimum. Any recommendations for a good strategy for alternative email apps?

I don’t use Apple Mail because I can’t get it to synchronize with ical and my ATT account.

I want my calendar to remind me of appointments via email. Over the years it has worked briefly, but then Apple will make a change and break it. This has caused me to miss appointments. I recently upgraded to Sierra and have been unable to get it to work. Very frustrating. The program itself is fine. I don’t know why people dislike it. I don’t know which cog in my system is the problem when it comes to email reminders, but that’s a feature I would very much like to have. If there’s an email program that can provide this, I would buy it.

As I suggested above, the best solution I’ve found for really robust Eudora level email handling is to put Mailmate in front as the IMAP client and archive past emails somewhere else (my online email is 4GB and my offline is another 16GB). I keep an Apple Mail archive and a EagleFilter archive. I’ve made MailSteward archives in the past (bought pro version) but did not like it that much.

One important question is whether your email provider is Google or one that has a true IMAP front end. I’m quite happy with Apple’s Mail.app for IMAP but not so happy if it is a Gmail account. The latter partly because you can have issues if you use IMAP some of the time to access Gmail and use Gmail’s web interface the rest of the time.

For Gmail accounts there are some really good specialized web browser that give some traditional mail abilities to Gmail. Kiwi and MailPlane are 2 good ones. I am very excited about Mimestream which provides a traditional Apple Mail interface to Gmail, it uses Gmail APIs instead of IMAP so it works really well. It is still in beta and missing some Gmail features, but at home I do most of you work email in Midstream. Requires macOS 10.15 or greater. Would be nice if Apple buys it up and incorporates the Gmail API’s into Mail.app.

1 Like

I’ve started using Mimestream as well once it added the capability to show only unread/flagged messages. I’m quite impressed so far, though it certainly has some beta-rough edges still.

Yup, definitely a beta, but working pretty good. I’ve filed but bug reports and feature requests. I’ve heard back from the author. One feature I miss is mail templates, he said he would like it but needs to figure out how to identify which drafts are templates and which aren’t.