Can't get into Recovery mode

I’ve always had trouble with this. In fact I have seen it work only a few times, and I’m unsure why it worked on those occasions.

To enable or disable SIP, one has to enter recovery mode by restarting while holding option-R. Except it doesn’t work. I tried unplugging the iMac, zapping PRAM, still doesn’t work. I wonder if it’s because I am using a third party keyboard. In my case, a Ducky. But I remapped the option and command keys.

Typically, keyboard remapping is ineffective until after boot completes.

For example, my Microsoft Wired 600 Keyboard Alt key serves as the boot-time Option key.

Actually it’s Command-R to enter Recovery and Option-Command-R or Shift-Option-Command-R for Internet Recovery. See https://support.apple.com/HT201314.

You don’t say why you feel the need to disable SIP, but that’s not something that should ever need to be done routinely.

Right, I mistyped. Should be command-R, not option-R.

I have found occasions where it’s necessary to disable SIP, and I’m not convinced it’s all that helpful as a security measure. Of course, security needs vary from person to person.

Actually, security is simply an added benefit of SIP which is designed to protect the System and key processes from becoming accidentally corrupted. It does limit malware target areas and thereby reduce the need for anti-malware utilities to monitor SIP protected areas, but that isn’t it’s main purpose.

I remember, I was trying to disable Spotlight. You have to disable SIP to do that.

Malware has never been a problem for me, especially on the Mac. During decades of computer use I have received only one virus. That was in Windows 7 while using the freeware version of Avast. I only got it because it came piggybacked on the 32 bit version of CCCleaner at File Hippo, a source that claimed it scanned the software it offered for download. I quit using that site, quit using that program, and moved to MajorGeeks for Windows downloads.

Security and privacy needs vary from person to person. Security is much more of a problem for large organizations, and certain ones, than for the majority of individuals. For the latter group, the “problem” of security has been vastly exaggerated and overdone, while the v. real problem of privacy worsens. We’ve reached dystopian sci-fi territory. Many companies have diminished their products and the experience of computers owners, making millions if not billions of dollars while engaged in activity that is dubious legally and ethically. Hence the frequent visits by executives to Congressional committees.

I know Adam wants us to avoid saying anything controversial. I don’t think what I’m saying is controversial. It’s been said by many industry observers and consumers for decades.

Having said that, I have bought the Take Control books about privacy and security and have followed their advice.

1 Like

That’s something I’ve never had a need for. Certainly Spotlight has its problems, but the very few times it has even been noticeable a quick reboot always takes care of it. And I use Spotlight dozens of times a day to launch apps, open documents or quickly find them since that’s always faster when my hands are on the keyboard than switching to my mouse and Finder. Also there are a few macOS processes that use the Spotlight database for their own purposes.

Despite Malware being in my wheelhouse, I’ll pass on commenting on your observations for now.

I don’t know what this means.

Some people have seen speed increases when they disable Spotlight. There’s the indexing.

Sierra marks the first time since the 1990s that I have had to…wait…for programs to start. There are a lot of processes running now, no doubt many calling back to the mother ship. Reminds me of Windows. I made only a brief attempt at using (understanding) LaunchControl to stop or delete them. Apple loads their computers with a lot of crap that you can’t delete. It’s nothing to be proud of.

I use the dock to start programs, but like many people I find it intrusive. That’s also true in Windows. I’ve tried moving it or shrinking it but I return to its default at the bottom of the screen. It’s faster than having to type the name of a program. That’s why something like Quicksilver doesn’t work for me. As I get older, I memorize less and forget more. I know what I want but I don’t always remember the name of the file. I assume that’s my body preparing me for the grave. For many years I used FinderPop, which lets you start programs via a pop up contextual menu. The name and icon were listed together, and that worked for me for a long time. I was v. disappointed to learn it was no longer participating in the Apple upgrade circus.