Caller ID Authentication May Tame the Scourge of Spam Calls

I was going to say I had no check marks at all, but after scrolling down 5 pages worth I finally saw some. Only from 3 people, all known contacts, but one is a family member so maybe it’s AT&T only authenticating AT&T at this point? With silence unknown callers on at this point most of the calls that come in are through my Google Voice or Vonage Home numbers anyway…

Interesting thread. I have both a VOIP “landline” and a mobile iPhone. The mobile is rarely used.Silence iunknown seems to do a good job of cutting off spam, FORTUNATELY I am NOT being charged minutes (very economical plan for very little use!). Frequency is may 3-4 per month.

It’s my main VOIP phone that can ring up to 4 times PER DAY. Sure, if I do NOT know who is calling, I just let it ring. BUT that also means I get to listen to maybe 20 rings every day.

Now for the life Ime I can NOT imagine ANY entity needing such a HUGE volume of outgoing calling for any legitimate reason. What business needs to make 400 outgoing calls every minute (that’s a wild assed guess!)? First question is whatever carrier they are connecting to KNOWS this customer is using a FAR larger than normal amount of outgoing calling. THEY whould be raining this in… but due to $$$ my guess is there is no incentive to prevent this affront to their end customers. So laws and regulations… BUT I WOULD love to have you folks poke holes in my speculation.

The FCC moved the date up for STIR/SHAKEN for smaller VoIP providers due to abuse by spammers. Maybe this will cut down on robocalls…

1 Like

Apparently what the FCC does has little effect because DOJ doesn’t pursue enforcement.

The other problem is that while the FCC is supposed to enforce robocall offenses and levy fines, they aren’t allowed to collect fines. That’s left to the DOJ, which routinely just… doesn’t bother. As a result a comically small volume of the overall fines levied are ever actually collected. For example between 2015 and 2019 the FCC issued $208.4 million in robocall fines, but collected just $6,790.

3 Likes

Enforcement depends on what will make the best return in actual revenue (a.k.a “fines”) or the better political headlines.

Hmm well I’m not sure lack of enforcement is a problem here.

I’ve been personally involved in implementing STIR/SHAKEN at the carrier where I work. And you don’t mess with the FCC. They can put you out of business (unless maybe you’re Verizon or AT&T who can throw their weight around). Fear of an audit is enough reason to make sure you’re compliant.

Plus, I’m not surprised there hasn’t been much enforcement yet because authentication is new. Without the new tech, carriers didn’t have the needed tools anyway. It was like having an entire class of 30 rowdy kids: you can’t send them all to the principals office.

But now we have tech that can clamp this down and requirements governing it. The next year or two should start shifting call spam problems.

4 Likes