Big Sur public beta is finally available

The macOS Big Sur public beta just became available. It’s a huge download at a little over 12 GB. Good luck to everyone who has been eagerly waiting.

https://www.engadget.com/macos-big-sur-public-beta-live-172454233.html

Note that if you are running Catalina and want to install Big Sur on an APFS volume instead of a separate partition you should make sure that you are running 10.15.6.

Apparently earlier versions of Catalina had trouble co-existing with Big Sur on the same APFS volume and would not get software updates.

Installed Big Sur last night and am using it now. I find myself liking it much more than I would have expected.

Some apps don’t work at all yet (Bartender and Karabiner are two I miss the most), but it looks promising.

The only thing I can’t seem to get used to is Finder’s new icon in the Dock or ⌘-Tab. It looks weird with the rounded corners. I’m sure I’ll adjust over time.

1 Like

I am registered with the Beta Software Program but I am not offered anything except that I am told that 10.15.6 is the latest version (which of course it is). Somewhere during the process there is a message " No Time Machine backup detected Your Mac is not currently backing up with Time Machine. This installer will give your Mac access to pre-release software. You should make a backup prior to installing any beta updates." I do have at least 2 back-ups.
Furtheron it says “Update not found - The necessary macOS version is not available”
Any idea?