Best way to restore backups to new iPhones in a low-bandwidth scenario

Nope. Only version 2 is available.

What does the .itl file hold? i.e. does it hold the track details, like when downloaded and how many times it was played?

Diane

Right, but what version of Configutor 2?

I’d have to reboot into 10.11 to re-check the App Store today, but the last time I did so it told me that version 2.7.1 would not work with 10.11 and offered to download v2.3, which is what I have there now.

-Al-

I haven’t examined it in a long time, but I do know that I didn’t lose any information in the process. Seems to me it was an index file of some sort. If I have more time I’ll take a look, but I suspect you can do that, as well.

-Al-

I just get a dialog box that says:

We could not complete your purchase.
“Apple Configurator 2 can’t be installed on “Macintosh HD ” because OS X version 10.12.5 or later is required.”

`

The iTunes Library.itl file is a database of the songs in your library and the playlists that you’ve created. Some song-specific data is saved in this file. If you delete this file, iTunes creates a new, empty copy the next time that you open it. Your playlists, song ratings, comments, or other information is lost. The iTunes Library.itl file is used only by iTunes, and is the only one backed up by Time Machine on OS X.

`

So a better answer would be to replace the latest iTunes.itl file with the one in the Previous Library folder when downgrading iTunes to prevent losing playlists, comments, etc.

Do you lose anything important when iTunes.itl is deleted…don’t want it to forget about apps, podcasts, music, etc. I’m fine with deleting it but starting with a know nothing iTunes library doesn’t help solve what I’m trying to do.

Seth gave you a reference document that explains what is lost (playlists, song ratings, comments, or other information) so a better choice would be to replace the latest iTunes.itl file with the one in the Previous Library folder when downgrading iTunes to prevent such loss, if any of that is important to you.

Thanks Seth! Had I been more awake…… =:0

Diane

FYI, iTunes 12.6.5 was posted to https://support.apple.com/HT208079 today, so there have been two additional updates to legacy iTunes 12.6 now.

Thanks for posting that, Al!