Are Apple subscriptions worth it?

I’m about to merge into Apple ecosystem, and I’m learning a few things about apple apps.

I’d like to know if Apple Music, Apple Arcade and Apple TV+ are worth it.
Its kinda cheap in my country, it wouldn’t be a big deal paying this.

That has to be an individual decision, or rather three decisions. My wife and I have subscribed to Apple Music (the family version) almost since its inception. I have Apple TV+ because I got a year free with a new device, and I haven’t decided whether I will pay for it after that. We don’t play enough games to make Apple Arcade worth paying anything at all.

You’ll also need to decide how much iCloud storage you need and how much you are willing to pay for it. I keep ours at maximum because we have a lot of content in iCloud Photos and iCloud Drive.

Here are my thoughts as a lifelong US resident and a decades long Apple user:

Apple Music vs. Spotify Premium: I already had a significant collection of iTunes as well as CD albums I transferred to my Mac when Music was released, so it was a no brainer for me. And I like that I can look at stuff I own along with stuff in Music’s catalog. Here’s some other reasons I prefer Apple Music:

Apple Music has a significantly larger music library than Spotify, probably because they pay artists better. IIRC, it’s tens of thousands more songs. And Apple lets you download a lot more songs.

You can have all your Music stuff run seamlessly across all your Apple devices. Just turn on iCloud Music Library.

I like Music’s Radio features, and I really love Music’s brand new new Replay feature:

I don’t have a HomePod yet, but I’ve heard it in the homes of friends and family, and the sound is outrageous. It also integrates seamlessly with Music. I could be wrong about this, but I’ve heard Spotify doesn’t work well with Siri on HomePod.

Personally speaking, there is nothing that particularly interests me or my husband on TV+ at this moment. I think that Apple jumped the gun before it had enough content in releasing the service. They were probably pressured by the fact that so many other streamers entering what is rapidly becoming an overcrowded market.

I literally have hundreds of things I want to watch but haven’t seen yet on Netflix. And this doesn’t even count stuff like The Crown, Stranger Things, La Reina Del Sur, Mindhunter, Glow, Fauda, Narcos and Narcos Mexico, Nailed It (in all its multilingual permutations), Peaky Blinders, Money Heist, Rebellion, Wentworth, along with other recurring multi episode series that I am absolutely addicted to that will pick up again sometime in the next year. If we’re going to add another streamer, it will be Disney. If I were Tim Cook, I’d spend a few of the many billions of $ Apple has stashed away and buy some studios with good libraries.

1 Like