Apple Updates MacBook Pros with 8-core Processors and a Keyboard Fix(?)

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2019/05/21/apple-updates-macbook-pros-with-8-core-processors-and-a-keyboard-fix/

Apple is once again attempting to address issues with its MacBook Pro butterfly keyboards with a new design for its updated laptop models and an expanded repair program for existing ones. Oh, and there are faster processors.

Apple apparently just updated the MBP. There’s a supposedly improved keyboard (that can be swapped in for previous MBP butterfly keyboards) and a new 8-core option on the 15" MBPs. No 6-core update for the 13". The TouchBar is still on there.

If the keyboard turns out to be legit the quad-core 13" might just be my new work Mac.

More details on the “new” keyboard.

Thanks for the nice article, Josh.

It’s a bummer that the new gen Intel CPUs only found their way to the 15". Any details on the 13" i7? How does it compare to the 9th-gen found in the 15" (apart from the additional cores of course)? TDP? Is the slower mem bus going to be a real world issue?

Thanks! Yes, unfortunately, the 13-inch always seems to get the short end of the stick. I doubt there’s much real-world performance difference for most people, but we’ll have to see what the benchmarks say.

How much faster is the 13-inch May 2019 MacBook Pro vs the late 2013 MacBook Pro Retina?

I have a late 2013 13-inch MacBook Pro retina with the base CPUs: 2.6 GHz dual Core i5. Not sure what “generation” that is. I also have 16 GB RAM, but just 512 GB SSD.

The new May 2019 MacBook Pros with TouchBar and TouchID come with these base CPUs: 2.4 GHz 8th generation quad core i5.

How much faster are the new CPUs compared to what I have? Time to upgrade?

It’s a little early for good performance data on the 2019 models but they’ve started showing up on Geekbench.

Here’s a comparison of your processor and a single sample of the new base processor:

Single	Multi
4737	16775	"Core i5" 2.4 13" Touch/2019 (I5-8279U)
3369	6467	"Core i5" 2.6 13" Late 2013  (I5-4288U)

40% faster for single-threaded processes, 159% faster for multi-threaded. Since you have a dual core and the new one is quad core, it makes sense it would be more than twice as fast for multi-threaded operations.

I wouldn’t necessarily upgrade if you aren’t having problems with your current laptop. Is there anything your current laptop can’t do that you want to do? Do you use it to perform tasks with a clear time-is-money benefit to completing them more quickly?

I have a Late 2016 15-inch MBP. I don’t like the keyboard and while newer iterations have made improvements, I still prefer the earlier models. I think the trackpad is actually too big. I don’t hate the Touch Bar but I don’t like it either. I really like Touch ID. I like Thunderbolt 3 and USB-C and don’t mind losing MagSafe. Losing built-in HDMI was a slight inconvenience. The 2019 13-inch weighing almost half a pound less than the Late 2013 is nice.

1 Like

That was unexpectedly useful information. Thanks!

The main thing I wish my current MBP had was more SSD. Currently I’m stuck at 512 GB. I’d really like at least 1 TB. My entire Photos album, for example, is offloaded onto an SD card just to make space. And I need to use part of my CCC backup drive in order to run BackBlaze completely for offsite backups. 2 TB would even be nicer.

My keys are wearing off again too. I got the topcase replaced under warranty at the end of 2016, but already A, S, D, W, and L are wearing off. Did that get any better with the newer keyboards?

The new ports are sort of a turn-off to me, but I guess I can live with them. I actually rarely take my MBP anywhere. When I do I might need to get a new kind of HTML though.

I didn’t realize it weighed so much less.

All-in-all it doesn’t seem a huge change after 6 years, does it?

Is the screen itself better?

There isn’t anything I need to actually do that I can’t on my current MBP. However, it is 100% central to my work. But my work isn’t video editing - it’s programming. And, in fact, the compiling takes place off-site on Linode servers. I do need to run Windows in Parallels Desktop sometimes though - mostly for compatibility testing, or to help a Windows client debug some issue.

Maybe I should wait until mine dies and rush and get a replacement? Or maybe I can fix up the keyboard and resell this one at an auction site? The battery is still like knew because there have been so few charge cycles.

SSDs have a lifetime though, don’t they?

Thanks for the info!

The last MBP 13" with proper port set is the last MBP 13" I would consider. You can find affordable parts for your machine on eBay (very popular machine). Somewhere in your neck of the woods, there’s someone who knows how to fix these machines. I walk the talk: my main portable is a MBP 17" from 2011, upgraded to 1TB SSD and 16 GB of RAM. Still the best large screen portable work station which runs OS X.

The port set is really not a big deal. You just get the right cable or adapter and you’re fine. If you absolutely need all the versatility on the go then you’ll have to have a little go-bag with the required dongles (I actually have that).

But the new port set does have a huge advantage. With TB3 we have a single super-high bandwidth port that does it all. You usually don’t run out of ports because there’s three more of the same type (don’t get the gimped two-port MBP despite its physical esc key which is great). And if you do need more ports, well then just get an inexpensive hub.

MagSafe is a loss no doubt, but everything else really does work just fine. And the fact that TB3 makes for a great docking station setup is an added bonus for those who spend significant time at a desk too.

IMHO if you want to complain about the new MBPs, it should be focused on the KB (the jury’s still out on whether iteration 3 of this questionable design actually fixed the problem) and the TouchBar (gimmick that went nowhere). The camera’s a joke in 2019 (and next to what they can do on iPhone), but I hardly use it anyway so I don’t care too much. I’d like to add high price points exasperated by the fact that BTO options are excessively priced as well to my list, but hey, who am I kidding? It’s been that way with the MBP for at least a decade now. Tim’s not going to change that. Maybe the next guy.

Edit: no Nvidia/CUDA options on the MBP are a real bummer too. But when was it that Apple decided they needed to publicly punish Nvidia for some petty spat? Another decade ago? Yeah, exactly.

Wow. There’s no way I want to carry a little baggie just to be able to use my computer (like having to carry a catheter tube everywhere with you: for those who are suffering from a medical condition, great for the rest of us not so much). I remember the PowerBook Duos and am not keen to voyage in a time machine back to the eighties.

Your complaints list unsells the new MBP better than I could. Using a MBP as a desktop is pretty awful. With big monitors hooked up, the MBP slows down and the fans speed up. With a Silver Tower I can place it halfway across the room and behind a couch and it’s practically silent.

If you buy only through the Apple Store, you might believe that you would need to carry a bag of dongles, one for each possible interface (USB3, HDMI, card reader, miniDisplayport, Thunderbolt 2, etc.). However, in the years since the USB-C port appeared, several manufacturers have built small hubs that can handle most of these needs. For example, when I travel with my 2018 MacBook Pro, I carry a hub that adds 3 USB3 ports, a card reader, an HDMI port, and an Ethernet port (https://amazon.com/gp/product/B079GSMZ7G/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). Using this hub still keeps 3 ports available for charging, or attaching devices that aren’t covered by the hub. So far, I have never needed to attach more than the hub and a charging cable at the same time.

For my purposes, that one hub is sufficient. Your needs may be different, and, I’m sure that you can find a solution that will allow you to get by with a minimal number interface cables.

Well, that’s not what I said either. You can use it just fine without a catheter bag. However, if you want to be able to connect to every possible port on the go, then, and only then, you will likely have to bring along a baggy with adapters.

Cannot confirm anything like that.

In fact, my Core i7 13" MBP from way back in 2013 is probably one of my favorite desktop Mac setups I’ve ever had. It’s light and compact on the go, but when I get back to my office I plug it into one TB2 and one power connection to immediately get access to my huge monitor, my favorite keyboard, my favorite mouse, all my local external storage, Gigabit, etc.

My fans will rev up when the CPU is taxed, but not just because I connect to an external display. I remember something like that in conjunction with a ~2006 MBP and its internal GPU, but as of the last decade, that has never been an issue for me. Likewise, my CPU performance is entirely unaffected by the external screen.

Ironically, you mention your silent tower. I had a QuickSilver at home for a while. My wife had me throw it out because you could here it run in other parts of the house just because of its fans. At idle. I kid you not. I think at some point Apple even had a service program to quiet the boxes down where they’d insert some damping rubber or something. It was ridiculous outside of anything but a noisy lab/shop environment.

Yes, I like the Dell USB-C DA300 Mobile Adapter, mainly because it also has VGA and I’m on a campus that still has a fair number of rooms with only that. I like the retractable USB-C cable too. It only has one USB type A and one type C which is probably not enough for many.

Current displays support “P3 wide color,” not so relevant while programming but good for photography and video.

SSDs have a limited number of write cycles but it’s difficult to know when you’re pushing your luck.

I don’t think there’s any reason to hold out for the next MacBook Pro; like the 2019 models, the next ones will probably have incremental changes (faster components, WiFi 6 is likely). I don’t expect Apple to “see the light” regarding the choices that get the most complaints.

You’ve had your current laptop a decent length of time, you’re cramped for internal space, keeping your photos on a not ideal medium and your keyboard is kind of worn out. A new MBP will have a much faster SSD in addition to the processor, your VM should feel snappier. But since you’re using the built-in keyboard enough to wear out keys, try to spend some time with the new keyboards (either 2019 or 2018, it doesn’t sound like the 2019 ones have a different feel), if you really don’t like it, you’ll have a harder decision to make. I spend the vast majority of my time using an external keyboard so I can live with the 2016 model having the second-worst keyboard (I think the first 12-inch MacBook one may be the worst).

The biggest issues with the Silver Towers were usually the graphic cards. The standard issue lite upgrade Radeon 4870 was loud and so were some others. Damping was best on the 1,1 (Jobs asked the engineers to spare no expense on damping). Of course, each generation the damping was a bit worse and requires some hand tweaking to bring sound levels down. My towers are very, very quiet.

What’s loud are the nasty fans on MBP. MBP are underbuilt for the heat they generate. Only with gfxCardStatus to turn off the dedicated graphics card and Turbo Boost Switcher to turn off (hot) turbo mode does an Apple laptop user who works with images or keeps multiple browser tabs open have a fighting chance of a quiet computer.

Apple is very fortunate that Linux remains fractured and that the other laptop computer manufacturers are so feckless. ThinkPads aren’t bad in terms of configuration and durability but they are pretty boxy and if you don’t like that red thumbnub are torture to use. It’s amusing to watch so many people who are greeny-peasy in other parts of their lives, carefully recycling their garbage, taking care not to litter in nature and worrying about their carbon footprint buy Apple laptops. Apple laptops in the last seven years have become basically entirely non-repairable. To repair a defective trackpad, Apple threw away the whole top half of my wife’s MBP 13". Literally one third of the computer. Outside of warranty it makes no economic sense to repair them. Insane.

The only repairable laptops capable of running current OS well are the 2011/2012 15 ad 17 MBP.

Better hope a butterfly keyboard doesn’t need repair too many times. Though if this happened, I’d recommend pushing hard on other Apple repair channels.

1 Like

Under AppleCare, I got a foot and 3 keys replaced on my 2015 MBP. Well, that’s what I wanted replaced.

I ended up with an entire new case, because there was no way to repair the foot. I am guessing if it fell off out of warranty, I would have found something on eBay and glued it on. But Apple gave me an entire new case, with keyboard and battery, to fix a foot that fell off (that I still have) and 3 worn keys.

Diane