Apple “Scary Fast” Event Scheduled for 30 October 2023

Word on the street is The uber-reliable Gurman says that will happen. Obviously, anything else at this point would seem a bit odd. IMHO if they just replace the port with USB-C on the mouse though, they might as well leave it Lightning. I really hope they make use of the transition to fix the design. This has got to be one of the dumbest Apple designs in quite a while. Definitely on par with the hockey puck mouse.
:man_facepalming: :man_facepalming: :man_facepalming:

On a related but O/T note, can anybody here tell me if I get Apple’s extended Bluetooth Keyboard (the latest and greatest with TouchID) but connect it over USB, can I leave BT off? Or will that break functionality?

… Bloomberg writer Mark Gurman is now adamant that …

Apple is set to launch:

• M3 24-inch
  • Two MacBook Pro models, probably with M3 Pro and M3 Max processors
  • Trackpad, mouse and keyboard updates with USB-C connectors

I just tested that for you. The latest extended keyboard and trackpad work with Bluetooth off when connected to the computer (in my case, via the Studio Display). I tested touch ID by bringing up the Password Panel in Systems Settings.

Now, I will restart Bluetooth and go back to my usual setup.

4 Likes

Thank you, @aforkosh. That’s great news. If they now adapt their mouse to allow for a USB-C cable to be plugged in while using it, I’d be all set. :crossed_fingers:

I have nothing against BT at all, but at work I have a setup where I control multiple Macs (and one Linux beast) from a single location. They’re all plugged into the same monitor on which I just flip from input to input. I have a fancy USB mouse plugged into an old Apple Extended KB. To move from one computer to the next (when I’m not using VNC) all I have to do is switch what that KB is plugged into (each one of those Macs and the Linux box have a USB cable that ends female at my desk). It’s a very simple solution and it works perfect for my use. But some day that old Apple KB is going to break (or I drown it in spilled coffee). And of course I like the idea of getting TouchID for my desktop Macs too. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Until then, perhaps there’s an opportunity for an enterprising entrepreneur. Maybe call it the “half-pad”. It’s a mouse pad that hangs off the edge of your desk, so you can use just the front half of the mouse while it’s plugged in. :grinning:

Here’s a Bingo card for Apple’s “Scary Fast” Event on Monday October 30.

Is it normal for Apple to send Influencers free devices and snacks in advance of a product announcement?

The gift boxes include a pair of AirPods Max headphones, an Apple cap, and a selection of “sweet and spooky” snacks and drinks.

It’s a measure of how important they’ve become to the bottom line. The time for tech journalists to get these, if ever they did from Apple, has passed.

“Gift boxes”? That used to be called bribe. :laughing:

It wasn’t all that uncommon for companies to send journalists things like this in conjunction with a product release or announcement. It’s basically the same as sending out review units for relatively inexpensive devices that the company doesn’t expect to be returned because they can’t be resold anyway.

I haven’t seen such a thing in quite some time, not being a YouTuber, but most grown-up companies don’t see such gift boxes as all that effective either, on top of the perceptions of trying to buy good coverage.

My guess at event releases:

✓- iMac 24", M3
✘- Mac Mini, M3 & M3 Pro
✓- MBP 14" & 16", M3 Pro & Max
✘- MBP 13", M3

✘ EDIT: + USB-C kb/trackpad/mouse.

(EDIT 2: ✓✘ added after the event.)

1 Like

Good thing I received this as I hadn’t heard anything about an event today. OK I have about 50 minutes to get ready for it. I hope I’ll be able to get it via my TV 4K so I’m not restricted to the small screen of my iPad Mini.

Edit. OK was able to watch it using my TV and my 70" TV. They missed the boat by not bringing back the 27" iMac. Why should someone have to downgrade to a 24" iMac?

25 posts were merged into an existing topic: M3 Chip Family Boosts Performance for MacBook Pros and 24-inch iMac

FYI, I’ve moved all the post-event discussion over to the article I just published about the event.

A post was merged into an existing topic: M3 Chip Family Boosts Performance for MacBook Pros and 24-inch iMac