Apple’s One Last Thing for 2020: AirPods Max

I would get these for the spatial audio–if only it worked with the Apple TV 4K. I understand that without the gyroscopes in the iPhone or iPad, they wouldn’t be able to track the position of your head with respect to the sound source (iPhone/iPad) but the big question for me is whether pairing them with the Apple TV 4K will give me simulated Dolby Atmos/5.1/7.1 sound like I can get from my OG HomePods. That would be sufficient for me because the impact of Atmos from my stereo pair of OG HomePods is muted by the fact that the room I’m using them in has a very high cathedral ceiling, meaning simulated Atmos from a pair of AirPods Max would solve that problem.

I somehow doubt that’s possible, although I’m not sure why. In the time between the announcement and the first sets shipping, I called Apple and was told the APM would do what I was looking for. Somehow I doubt it, but I ordered a pair anyway. If they really enhance my movie viewing, I’ll keep them. Otherwise they go back.

iFixit has posted a teardown of the AirPods Max, with a surprisingly glowing review.

Here is the “nut graf”:

And after tearing down some of the competition, we’re more understanding of that $550 price tag. Sony and Bose both charge less, but internally, the AirPods Max’s obsessive craftsmanship makes those other extremely capable devices look like toys by comparison.

1 Like