Apple’s First Virtual WWDC to Start June 22nd

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2020/05/05/apples-first-virtual-wwdc-to-start-june-22nd/

Apple’s first virtual WWDC will kick off on 22 June 2020. We should be glad that Apple is even attempting to pull it off, given the cancellation of other major tech conferences.

The email that Apple sent me about this event featured this not-at-all-creepy image.

hero_14_2x

I’ve rarely reached for the delete key so quickly! I know that, at 57, I’m not the target audience—but what seems to be a multiply pierced baby, settled firmly in the Uncanny Valley and bearing God knows what expression behind the open screen of their MacBook (perhaps an open smile, but perhaps a nakedly predatory grin)? I’m still shuddering!

4 Likes

Yeah, the animojis used are pretty cringey, though I find the whole thing animoji thing cringey in general.

5 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with the two of you. Think it’s time for the adults to take over again.

Woah…this is very creepy. So I’m going to take a guess…since the only business reason I can think of that makes sense for Apple to use a doll reminiscent of Chucky for the visual is for gaming. So my guess is that’s this WWDC will emphasize VR/AR and their gaming platform. Of course, there will lots of stuff about business, engineering and medical applications. Apple has been making a lot of noise about VR/AR for years. Maybe they’ll even debut glasses?

One more thing…many developers of AR/VR apps will likely need mega hardware that can render like wildfire, and manage color and image manipulation with super speed. A significant % VR/AR developers will be targets for the super duper, mega expensive Mac Pro, screen and stand.

Apple definitely has big long-term plans for AR. The technology behind animoji is amazing. The execution, not so much.

A question I couldn’t find a definitive answer to, so I guess this will be a long shot. Will the WWDC opening presentation be available for non developers, such as myself to stream?

Yes, as usual. Both the Keynote and the State of the Platform the following morning are usually freely streamed. Both very interesting typically.

It will be interesting to see what else is freely viewable from the event. I have a developer account but I’ve not renewed for the past few years, I may do so for this.

2 Likes

All sessions except labs have been public for at least several years. Not live, but last year they were up pretty quickly. (N.b, a gastropod’s definition of ‘quick’ may differ slightly from others…)

Best way to watch them on a Mac is the Unofficial WWDC for MacOS app. You can search all available sessions by subject, platform, year, etc. and they can be downloaded. Sierra up. I really hope that whatever Apple is setting up will still work properly with it at least for any non-interactive stuff.

https://wwdc.io

Many of the sessions I’ve watched, especially the accessibility ones, have been great. If only Apple’s developers were required to watch them, pay attention, and actually follow the guidelines.

3 Likes

Add this recent acquisition to the reasons why I suspect they might be targeting VR/AR to developers at the WWDC:

And now a virtual CES: