Apple News+ Debuts With Magazines, Newspapers, and Web Sites

FYI, this is not the best experience, but you can go to the WSJ.com web site in Safari in iOS, open any article there, and if it is for subscribers only, hit the share icon, share to “Open in Apple News”, and it will open the full article in Apple News if you are a News+ subscriber. Business coverage, too.

1 Like

Many magazines and newspapers have local and national editions. It’s not unusual for contents to be different and for headlines to change. The USA Today you get in the hotel isn’t necessary the USA Today you buy on the newsstand, for example.

This is a terrific work around! Unfortunately, I can’t run the latest iOS on my very elderly iPad or the latest OS on my extremely elderly Mac. I don’t like reading News on my iPhone 8+. So I’m out of luck for News+ for awhile and not at all happy about it. I do think there is enough of a market for users of older devices that would be quite profitable for Apple. And like iTunes and Music, I bet there will be an Android version available in the not too distant future.

“Everybody wants to get into the act,” including Google. And Google News has been less than successful:

The GNI Digital Subscriptions Lab, announced last week in partnership with Local Media Association and FTI Consulting, is an ambitious six-month program that will be laser-focused on finding a path forward for reader revenue strategies.

https://www.localmedia.org/lma-announces-ten-newspaper-partners-for-gni-digital-subscriptions-lab/

Doesn’t smell like success. Maybe this can be Apple’s next Ping?

Apple News+ seems to be floundering just months after its launch, according to new details from participating magazine publishers shared by Business Insider . [paywall]

It’s only three months in, and News+ is only available on devices running the latest iOS and OS. It’s a work in progress with very limited distribution so far. iTunes didn’t exactly set the world on fire when it was introduced. It took iPod and the addition of a Windows version to make it the success it evolved into today. And now its days as a stand alone look numbered.

I also will guess that when the new SVOD and games services are released in a few months, there will be some kind of package deal or deals, including Music.