Apple Mail, sort order, "Organize by Conversation"

On my MacBook8,1 (Retina, 12-inch, Early 2015) running macOS Big Sur 11.7.10, new Mail folders are sorted with newest messages on top and Organize by Conversation selected. I prefer oldest messages on top and Organize by Conversation not selected. How can I change the default? How can I batch change a group of folders that have the undesired attributes? Thanks.

FWIW, on my MacBook Air (M1, 2020), also running macOS Big Sur 11.7.10, new Mail folders are sorted with oldest messages on top and Organize by Conversation not selected, so it seems to be possible.

“Organize by Conversation” is toggled by the “View / Organize by Conversation” menu item (it is off when it does not display a checkmark).

If you click the column heading “Date Sent” it will toggle between oldest and newest on top.

1 Like

Yes, thank you. Unfortunately, unless I’m missing something, neither procedure works on multiple folders simultaneously, and I would like to avoid selecting each folder individually and performing the two operations. Also, I would like to have newly created folders not have Organize by Conversation selected, and have sorting set to oldest item on top. I’m sorry if I wasn’t clear.

Will M, there does not seem to be a way to make those changes in a wholesale manner. I tried applying the changes on a Big Sur 11.7.10 system by selecting multiple folders as well as the All Inboxes item, but they don’t stick.

If I were needing to make a similar change I would try to assign keyboard shortcuts to the Mail menu commands, which would greatly reduce the time and mousing required.

Thanks. That was my experience as well. Sigh.