Apple Justifies iOS App Store’s Tight Control in White Paper

Or, I could continue to point out that trying to talk about the App Store in isolation and ignore the larger world leaves out massively critical context. Having said that, I don’t think this is a particularly productive conversation at the moment, so I’ll leave it.

I don’t care what developers want and I am tired of their grizzles. Most of them wouldn’t be in business without Apple, the iPhone (invented by Apple) and the App Store.

We developers do not “grizzle”. I’m tired to hear that “we just should stop whining”.

The AppStore and Apple are a miserable experience. For almost every developer. Quite a few reviewers are bullies. There are spurious rejections. Some developers are treated different than others. Some companies get to do things that others aren’t allowed to do.

We must make money, too. Without developers there are no applications. And I don’t want to be treated by Apple as we are nothing to them.

3 Likes

There was a point, and it was very early on really, when the benefit of the App Store and sticking within the walled garden became very clear for users, including advanced ones who were comfortable with jailbreaking etc. The security, the general reliability, all meshed with the need for such a device to be stable and dependable, given the ubiquity of the phone within users lives.

I would have sympathy with developers regarding payment systems however, I think Apple may have a point about what they are providing to developers but I think they should, on balance, let developers pursue other third-party payment systems. The ‘on balance’ rests on the flow of cash Apple are hauling in from their position in the marketplace outside the App Store revenue, the apps developers provide have benefits for Apple too, its a two way street.

I would imagine that smaller developers are happy enough with the straight up ease of using Apple’s system for their users payments, I think the majority of users when faced with a pay via Apple or enter your credit card details choice will simply authorise the Apple payment.

1 Like

Apple is the AppStore’s owner, so they get to decide what to sell and what not to sell in it. Saks Fifth Ave. sells Nyx cosmetics, but nothing else from the many brands of Nix’s parent company, L’Oreal. They won’t sell Maybelline or any of its affiliate company products either. And they pulled all Ivanka Trump products from their stores a few years ago. This is how the retail industry works. And Apple wouldn’t be bullied by Fortnight, one of the largest app developers in the world.