Apple Boosts iMac Performance with Faster Multi-Core CPUs

Originally published at: https://tidbits.com/2019/03/19/apple-boosts-imac-performance-with-faster-multi-core-cpus/

After nearly two years, Apple has beefed up the 21.5-inch and 27-inch Retina iMacs with faster processors, graphics chips, and memory. The company also added some high-end options to the iMac Pro.

I have been waiting for this update. The advice to start with a higher-end model rather than upgrading a lower model still applies - the $1999 and $2299 models end up at $3399 if you upgrade to 16 GB of RAM, a 1 TB SSD and the 8 core i9 CPU. What I don’t know is what performance improvement I would get from upgrading from the 580X GPU to the Vega 48. You can’t find benchmarks for these imbedded GPUs and these appear to be specific to Apple. I don’t see the value of upgrading the i5 to the i9 since they are both 9th gen and 6 vs 8 cores is not likely to be material, given the state of multi-threading in applications. I’d be interested in hearing how others are evaluating these choices.

David

Yeah, it’s funny that you get a better GPU just by starting with a different config. I have to assume that Apple just replicated the previous setup, which has had this quirk since 2017.

I’ve been looking to get an iMac, I’m currently using a 17" MacBook
Pro (really!), and kind of figured they were due for a bump, so I’m
glad I waited. And thanks for the note on the configuration quirks.
I usually play around with the configuration so may have noticed it
myself, but may not have too.
I suppose I’ll be stuck with Mojave though. Don’t suppose it will
run Snow Leopard? :slight_smile:
Brian

Educators and audio people are rather happy the new iMacs don’t have the T2.

1 Like

Minor quibble: Some of the new processors are 8th generation, according to Apple, not all 9th generation.

Yes, as the article says, the 21.5-inch iMac got 8th-generation processors, while the 27-inch iMac got 9th-generation processors.

According to Apple’s “Choose your new iMac” page the two lower-end 27" iMacs start out with 8th generation i5 processors. The middle model offers an upgrade to the i9.

Oh, good eye—you’re absolutely right. The tech specs page doesn’t list processor generations, and Apple’s press release merely says:

The 27-inch iMac now for the first time features up to 9th-generation 6-core and 8-core processors, delivering up to 2.4 times faster performance.

So yeah, pay very careful attention when configuring an iMac if you want the latest.