Any reason this problem isn't a dying battery?

You didn’t specify, but I’m presuming you logged back into your iCloud account; assuming you have Keychain enabled, this is why it knew your network.

I’m still wishing you’d tried a battery drain with benign videos, rather than a GPS app that complicates what radios and background processes are involved, but ultimately it shouldn’t matter if that app didn’t have a bug that was at the root of the original problem.

I think that’s related in part to WiFi calling and 911 location services, assuming you have enabled WiFi calling and calls on other devices. It may also just be a system service that, if given permissions, an app can use to help tag your location for legitimate reasons (Uber, etc).

That’s usually difficult to do, as the ipad wants to restart automatically when connected to a charger, but I don’t think it matters in this case.

I’m not entirely clear if you believe you have some perceived improvement with a factory reset or not; if not, it’s time for a trip to battery town, or to ifixt if you’re game to do it yourself. I find it to be a reasonably easy model to swap batteries; it’s screen repair due to the laminate that is far too challenging for the average person.

Curious as to your decision, or if you have further questions.

Cheers

First, is there way for me to reply to multiple posts, with quotes from each?

How would I quit an app in iOS without force-quitting it?
During some of my iPad’s auto-shutdowns, I did lose some work. Was the auto-shutdown the equivalent of force-quitting the apps? (The apps automatically relaunched when the iPad was connected to power, so I don’t think so.)

In real time, how would I tell how much power a particular app is drawing?

Since Mail will pick up new mail even when it is not running, I have little faith in apps not doing things while actually running in the background.

Thanks, that’s good to know.

And I see an answer to my earlier question about replying to several people. I’m rushed and it doesn’t quite make sense, but I’ve saved the explanation and will try to digest it later. [Edited to add: it did make more sense later, but Adam’s explanation in the next post in this thread was clearer still.)

I did log in to my iCloud account, I assume I have Keychain enabled, and I assume that is what happened.

Actually, I ended up doing other work until the iPad shut off. The GPS app was running in the background.

Not hard at all. I plugged it in, it restarted, I entered my passcode and told it to shut down. Ninety minutes later, I started it up again. The battery was way less than fully charged (maybe 60%; I don’t have my notes handy). Another 90 minutes, and it was fully charged.

No noted improvement after the full reset. I’m planning to have the battery replaced. No further questions at this time. Thanks for all the help.

Yes, in the Web interface, select some text and click the Quote button that appears to start your reply. Then, once you’ve gotten to a point where you want another quote, simply go up and select more text in the discussion above (you can scroll even while your reply is open at the bottom) and click the Quote button to insert the quote.

Thanks, Adam. On my third reply, the software suggested I do what you said rather than have sequential replies, although not as clearly as you explained it. I will strive to remember the instructions, but no promises.

Update. I was near an Apple Store and visited without an appointment. (The nearest store to my home is 250 miles away, but I was visiting relatives.) I was seen in under ten minutes! The genius ran a diagnostic on the iPad and said the battery condition was 100%. While he ran the diagnostic, the battery charge dropped from 98% to 70%, which he recognized was peculiar. He knew nothing of Battery Life and did not count it as significant when the Battery Life display changed from 11% wear level to 77% wear level as he watched. He assured me that if I updated to the current version of iOS, my problem would be lessened if not eliminated. He found a cable (because the battery had dropped to 40% and the iPad would not start to update until the battery was greater than 50% or the iPad was plugged in) and I started the update. After updating, the battery was at 87% and the genius disconnected the cable. Within two minutes the battery dropped to 81%; he again proclaimed the battery to be in top shape and suggested that I clear all settings because there was a rogue software causing the problems. He said that I could have the battery replaced if I wanted, but it would be $300. I declined and left. I will probably use the iPad only when it is connected to power, and use the battery only for getting from one power source to another.

Well, he’s not entirely wrong; but I believe you already reset to factory at least once, so, in that case, he either didn’t listen to you when you said you’d done a restore already, or you didn’t tell him? No matter.

If you’re curious why they want $300, here’s the repair guide (where you can also buy your own complete battery kit with tools for $50):

iPad Air 2 Battery Replacement

As I said above, a good local shop will do it for $150-$200; there are services you can ship to if you have no local options.

Personally, while I find it a tedious job, it’s really not that bad; my first one was most of two hours; two other models were barely an hour. I remain thrilled that somehow my own A2 battery is still so healthy – but I did chew up the battery somehow in a hurry today; somehow the brightness got cranked up too high. I think that’s part of why my battery has lasted so long; I try to keep it set to under 30% unless I need it brighter, then set it back. I suspect for those I’ve had to replace they’ve been chewing up life cycles with a very bright screen.

While the solutions he suggested aren’t bad ideas, given what you’ve already tried, the diagnostic numbers suggest to me that it’s just a dead battery, end of story. :slight_smile:

I’m tempted to replace the battery myself for the experience, but more likely, I’ll keep the iPad connected to power most of the time and just live with it.

That’s the way it seems to me, but the genius said we’re mistaken. As I implied above, I’ll probably figure this is a device that goes dead in 15 minutes and plan accordingly.