An Apple spell check glitch: “snd”

This is so odd I’m almost — almost — embarrassed to ask about it. In macOS (14.3.1) and iOS (17.3.1) the typo “snd” isn’t flagged as a misspelling. Stranger still: if you look up “snd” in iOS, you’ll be given stock market info, etc., but if you look up “snd” in macOS, and you’ll get a dictionary entry for “and,” the word you probably meant to type in the first place.

Am I missing something? Is there any good reason for “snd” to count as a word?

(Yes, I wrote about this on the Apple page for feedback.)

It’s more than that. Running a quick test in Sonoma’s TextEdit, “asdf” is also not considered a spelling error:

Screenshot 2024-02-27 at 12.41.19

I think this is because the Dictionary app is pulling up web pages that match these strings. Especially Wikipedia. If you launch Dictionary and look up “asdf” you are shown a Wikipedia disambiguation page with several entries:

Similarly for “snd”:

Needless to say this is bad. If a spell checker accepts everything with a Wikipedia page, it is going to pass all kinds of misspellings.

But maybe this isn’t the reason - if I go to Dictionary’s settings and tell it to stop searching Wikipedia, it doesn’t affect TextEdit’s spell-checker. And “smd” also has a Wikipedia page (another disambiguation page for a common acronym).

1 Like

Not sure, but if it bothers you, you could make a text expansion shortcut that turns snd into and.

1 Like

Good suggestion – thanks. I’ve done this on all devices. And now if I sneak in the non-word (by changing “and” back to “snd”), there’s no look-up option, only “Search with Google.” And the first option is "Replace with ‘and.’”

I don’t think I am mistyping “and”. I am sure my iPad sneakily swaps the “s” and “a” keys without me noticing. The same with the “m” and space keys.
:wink:

snd was the name of sound resources in the resource fork of classic Mac OS files, so that might explain it.

1 Like