Amazon MagSafe to USB-C adapters any good?

On Amazon I see there’s several adapters that claim to allow you to continue using your old MagSafe chargers with USB-C equipped Macs. Some of them are surprisingly inexpensive, but I also see user comments about devices getting really hot and failing. Does anybody know specifics? Are these things even kosher? Or are you better off just throwing out your old MagSafe chargers and sucking up $69/$79 plus tax for every old one that needs to be replaced?

[Edit: added a few examples]

Check out the survey of USB-C chargers at The Wirecutter. The prices are in the same range and you end up with a simpler setup. Note that some have additional standard USB ports for charging phones, and other devices.

The only reason I can see for getting the adapters is that you want to be able to charge both MagSafe and USB-C laptops and carry only one charger.

That would actually be part of it. There’s also adapters from USB-C to MagSafe 2 so I could go the other way. I just have no idea if those cables are trustworthy.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RJQF1TH/

On a slightly different topic, does anyone have experience of adaptors which provide a magnetic charger for USB-C?

There are quite a few listed at Amazon (such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sicotool-Compatible-Magnetic-Converter-Transfer-Silver/dp/B07P6W8BX6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=1SQF7KJPF8P9E&keywords=magsafe+usb+c&qid=1565711666&s=gateway&sprefix=magsafe+usb%2Caps%2C456&sr=8-4).

I’m about to upgrade my old MacBook Pro and after more than one disaster narrowly averted by the ease by which a Magsafe charging cable can be pulled out, I’m loth to lose it.

Jeremy

I also wonder how many of these adapters claim to work with both MagSafe 1 and 2. Does that just mean they ship with the 1->2 adapter?

I can’t seem to find anything about such an adapter being included in the box, but I wonder how else the adapter is supposed to work with both types of MagSafe plugs.

Doing the jump from 2015 Retina 16 inch to the 16 inch M1 Max. Did you end up bying any of the adapters?

I bought one of these, which works very well. It seems not to be available any more, though.

I would like to find a MagSafe to MagSafe solution. A search on Amazon delivered a lot of alternatives for USB-C magnetic adapters: Amazon.com : Magsafe Magnetic USB C Adapter, Type c Connector if you ever need to replace yours.

Tried 2 different ones for my wife’s M1 MBA…both sucked. Magnet is too weak on both so that it fell off if you looked at it. Much weaker than my 2015 MBP MagSafe is…but I had the little third party gizmo that goes into the laptop to make the magnet work better.

2 Likes

I’d stick with Apple’s (or decent third party brand), and not waste my time.

The thing is, Apple’s new 140W adapter now uses GaN along with the never previously seen “PD 3.1” fast charging standard capability. Also, all new adapter blocks don’t have a captured cable anymore, so even if the MagSafe 3 cable frays/tears/breaks, you can simply swap that cable bit and keep the block – so like the current USB-C blocks, no more having to buy a whole new block due to the MagSafe 3 cable being broken! (although the MS3 cable is pricy at $£€50, so Apple giveth, just at a price, haha!)

Using these older MS blocks is likely to be more pain going forward; just sell them on Ebay to legacy device users who need them, and use the cash to get newer ones IMO.

1 Like

I’m not sure if an adapter from MagSafe 1/2 will even be possible.

MagSafe 1 and 2 are (more or less) traditional power bricks. They provide 14.5v at however much current is needed to meet the brick’s power rating (up to 85W, depending on the model). The difference between MagSafe 1 and 2 was (as far as I know) only a change in the connector shape, which is why cheap passive adapters were possible.

In contrast, Macs with USB-C charging require 20v (the highest voltage supported by the USB PD spec). The power brick will initially provide 5v and will switch to 20v after PD negotiation with the computer.

Although we haven’t seen specs yet, I would assume that MagSafe 3 is going to behave similarly to USB charging (the strongest hint is that the cable plugs into a USB-C charger). Which means it will want 20v, and the charger will initially provide 5v, switching to 20v after PD negotiation.

Any hypothetical adapter to go from MagSafe 1/2 to MagSafe 3 won’t be a simple passive adapter. It’s going to need a chip that can implement the charger-side of the USB PD protocol. It will need a buck-converter to convert the 14.5v input to 5v for the initial output and will need a boost-converter to convert it to 20v after PD negotiation.

This is certainly something that could be made, but I suspect it will cost almost as much as buying a proper USB-C power brick that can be used with generic USB or MagSafe 3 cables.

2 Likes

Apple is charging $49 for a simple USB-C to MagSafe 3 cable which is preposterous not to say outright hostile.

Better idea. Choose a quality GaN USB-C charger from a decent manufacturer and then add a $10 USB-C cable rated for 100W. All of that together would still end up cheaper than what Apple is charging for just a cable. :astonished:

And of course that’s before you add another $79 for their oversized and over-expensive USB-C charger. But hey, they only discovered GaN yesterday so obviously they are in dire need of some extra funds. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks for that tip, I see no reason to pay more money than required. On the other hand, I like to charge overnight. Which makes me want to pick a high-quality charger. Do not want any fires starting! Which brands are making high quality GaN USB-C chargers?

For charging a laptop, I would stick with chargers from the manufacturer (meaning Apple, in this case). I realize it’s not strictly necessary, but I’m concerned about cheap junk and I know Apple generally makes good equipment, even if it costs a bit more.

For third-party stuff, I’ve been very happy with Anker. They don’t sell a 140W charger (I don’t think anybody does at this time), and they are not the cheapest, but I think they sell good quality equipment. They have several chargers with enough capacity for laptops on their web page. The following look (to me) like options worth considering:

2 Likes

In Mac land people tend to like Anker. And they’re indeed solid. But at times also a bit expensive (my guess is because they know many Mac user like to come their way).

I have had several very good power supplies (that came with CE and UL certification, required for use here at work) from RAVpower. I heard, however, they tried sleazebag stuff (promising gift cards for good reviews, argh) which got Amazon to boot them off their store. I’ve also had good experience with some UGREEN charges and AFAIK they’re still on Amazon.

Anker is likely a good compromise between getting something without the ripoff Apple tax and still getting good quality.

This example here, has the Anker 65W GaN charger with included (decent) USB-C cable for just $61.
https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Nylon-Cable-Charger-Adapter/dp/B09G15SX3H

1 Like

Count me in, and my family are big fans of their cables and chargers. They aren’t cheap, but they are better priced than Apple’s branded stuff. We’ve found they are a lot more durable than other brands, including Apple and Amazon. And when they say “fast charging,” you can believe them.

1 Like

Is Satechi a trusted brand? I can get this from a local shop. 250 NOK ($30) less than Apple 96-watts USB C charger.

Satechi 100w USB-C on Amazon

Edit: It comes with no USB-C charging cable, but since my plan is to combine it with the MagSafe 3 cable from Appel, that’s not important for me.

Turns out we cannot answer that question directly, but you can find out for yourself by visiting MFi Licensee App and turning to page 6 of 11. The reason we can’t answer will be obvious.

I don’t know what you see when you visit that site, Al, but I am shown is a four-page document that does nothing to explain why some unrelated persons (those of us here) could not comment on whether we trust any specific brand. Maybe if I could get the offered PDF version to download it would be clearer.

You have to check the box at the bottom of the page that says “I agree to Apple’s MFi Non-Disclosure agreement…” then click the “Agree & View List” button in move to or download the .pdf. Then go to page 6 of 11 to answer you question.