Aftermarket warranty plans

OT or not? I usually buy AppleCare within the normal warranty period for my products. But when my SO got his new phone (first smartphone) we opted for the plan through Verizon. The salesman outlined what ways it was better (which I’ve since forgotten - I think breaks from a fall were covered vs Apple not covering them). We took it because he has a tech job and it was so much bigger than his old phone, but honestly, he hasn’t dropped it or dropped anything on it since May, so we’re thinking of cancelling it. It’s $13/month. I think the company is Assurance.

Has anyone used both plans and what are your thoughts? For as many times as I’ve bought AppleCare, I’ve only used it one, on my current laptop.

Thanks
Diane

Personally, I’ve never bothered with AC on an iPhone. If I drop a $600 device after one year (you would at that point have already paid north of $150 just for insurance) I’d probably look at getting a replacement anyway. On a $3k+ MBP it’s to me an entirely different matter. I want the device fixed pronto by Apple.

I figure on the iPhone it’s most likely me breaking it (although I’ve never dropped one to the point of seriously damaging it yet, knock on wood) so for me it makes sense I act as my own ‘insurance’. But I have never in my life dropped my Mac or knocked it off a table. So on a Mac I’d suspect it’s more likely if something breaks it’s a defect that I would expect Apple to take care of during as long a warranty period as I can get so I’d get AC for it. Of course YMMV.

I usually get AppleCare for mobile devices—iPhone, iPads, and MacBooks—but never for desktop Macs. It all depends on your risk profile.

Note that the equation has changed somewhat with the new AppleCare+ coverage which now includes up to two incidents of accidental damage, theft, or loss coverage every 24 months.

For a fee of course. In addition to what you already paid for AC that is. I can understand if somebody’s on a very tight budget that might be appealing, since they might not have the funds to buy a new phone should they total theirs at any given point in time. Personally, I’d prefer to pocket that money and instead only put it towards a brand new iPhone if and when I actually end up destroying mine (which I have yet to do, fortunately).

I’ve been happy with Apple Care, though I’m less happy with it the last few years due to the deterioration of wait times and quality of service. But from what I’ve heard from many sources, the alternatives are worse, including Verizon’s. The wait times, staff knowledge, parts in stock, are worse than Apple’s. Repairs on mobile devices can be very expensive, and if they have to order a part or send it out, it could be a big problem.

Being risk-adverse, I have always bought AppleCare, going back into the '90s, and never had to use it on iMacs, an iPad, or iPhones. They just keep on ticking, right? So of course the 3 years has run out on my current iMac, Apple isn’t offering their AppleCare+ on iMacs, and TechTools tells me my hard drive is failing. There is a message/lesson there somewhere, but I’m not quite sure what it is! Anyone know why AppleCare+ covers mobile devices (more likely to get broken and expensive to fix) but not iMacs?

My guess is that mobile devices are easier to fix in store, and if they have to be sent out, cheaper and easier to transport. They also take up less room in the repair stations than iMacs. And the screens on mobile devices are smaller, less expensive and take less room to stock.

Something I just thought of…Apple Stores use genuine Apple parts. I don’t remember hearing of an aftermarket plan that would guarantee this.

I have always had good lick with AppleCare. I got virtually a replacement iMac Pro after my last one was poorly repaired by a Apple Certified repair place (they installed more ram that went bad, but also chipped the screen trying to get it off). I also had some problems with a iPad backup that a great senior AppleCare person spent weeks with me to try to resolve. I always get it.

I just bought an iMac last month and I definitely bought AppleCare+ with it.

I, also have always purchased Apple Care. Even for my iMacs that I am unlikely to drop

One of the rationales I used was the Telephone access to Apple Care experts.

It is my understanding that the telephone consultation NO LONGER requires an AppleCare contract.

If so I doubt I will buy Apple Care for my next desktop and even for my seldom used iPhone

1 Like

I think there is some confusion between AppleCare and AppleCare+. The former extends Apple’s warranty out to 3 years; the latter is a monthly charge to extend after the 3 years of Applecare, and as of 3 weeks ago when I talked to Apple about it, it didn’t extend to iMacs. If anyone knows for sure to the contrary, please let me know. If true that telephone consultation no longer requires an unexpired warranty that would be a huge improvement.

Apparently, and what you have outlined isn’t exactly current, either.

AppleCare for most Apple hardware comes with a one-year limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary technical support. To extend coverage further, one can purchase AppleCare+ or the AppleCare Protection Plan.

Details for each product can be found at Service and support from the people who know your Apple products best.

I can say for sure that the AppleCare that I bought for my iMac is called AppleCare+, and that it will extend my one year warranty to three years, with up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage (with a $99 deductible for screen damage or a $299 deductible for anything else.) Unlike the recent change for iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch, however, Mac AppleCare+ cannot be extended month to month for the Mac after three years are complete.

Yes, regardless of what the AppleCare fine print says, Apple support will talk to everyone now, regardless of the AppleCare status of your hardware.

1 Like