1Password 7.9 Adds Secure Password Sharing

I have way more kinds of things in my password manager beyond web pages…secure notes, passport/drivers licenses/Covid card images, etc. while there are other options for these…an all in one solution is preferable.

Safari gained that feature long after 1Password did, and again, it only works in Safari, not other browsers. But my point was that there were and are good reasons for using 1Password even if you only use one browser.

Standalone licenses are already history – even for 1Password 7. New purchases of 1Password 7 are subscription only. Existing standalone licenses are still good.

I see that 1Password announced the demise of new standalone licenses in August. I hadn’t visited the website recently and I probably would have missed blog post anyway. . .

Maybe the purpose is “an interface that makes confidential information storage easy and pleasurable)-ish) to use.”

I’ve used 1Password cross-platform since about 2011. I have a routine baked in to my use of any new-to-me computer that I’ll be using. Install Dropbox, install 1PW, install Evernote. With those three actions I have almost all of my work information at my fingertips, and I can back out of it just as easily when I’m done. (Yes, I know, it’s a naive view of user security, but I’ve simplified it here.)

I might get my mind around 1Password 8 and buying into the subscription model, but if that happens I’ll sure push it to the limit and get my money’s worth. Since I’ve actually given them money only twice over the past decade (initial purchase and a paltry upgrade fee about 3 years ago), I can understand the sustainability argument. Taking one of my “core 3” out of the colonization process for password purposes might not be a bad thing, either.