iOS 14, iPadOS 14, watchOS 7, and tvOS 14 Now Available

Indeed! I just discovered this trick—swiping on the Home screen dots—the other day too.

FYI, beware moving widgets onto Home screens with folders.

1 Like

I am with you. I still have High Sierra on my Macs and 11.4 on my 6 SE, and my older Apple products have the Steve Jobs approved operating systems, (you know: When your device did the simple work for you, like magic.)
I wish at least one of the new devices and their operating system would be finished before they put it on sale. But, there seems to be a market for unfinished stuff that needs upgrades and debugging every month until the newest incomplete thing is released.

2 Likes

Updating the Apple Watch has become an exercise in futility for people like me who don’t have access to lightening-fast internet. The length of time to complete even the smallest watchOS update is ridiculous. There has to be a way to make this go faster and not take hours. I certainly won’t be updating to watchOS 7 no matter how many useful features they have packed into it. Apple, instead of concentrating only on new stuff to pack into the Watch, how about coming up with a new way to sync these updates that doesn’t take forever? What I would love is being able to connect it to my Mac instead of my iPhone and downloading an update that way, directly, the way we used to do with iPhone in iTunes.

I also installed iOS 14 upon release, hoping it would solve the new microphone issue with my iPhone 7. That problem was not resolved, and now, most apps on my iPhone 7 freeze at some point during use. A simple shutdown to restart (iPhone restarts on it’s own at this point) does not unfreeze those apps. Needing to do a hard reset (holding volume down/sleep button) several times a day to manage…

Has anyone else noticed that iOS 14 doesn’t recognize screen taps sometimes? Occasionally, I have to tap twice to open a folder. It may be related to widgets; if you have just used one, you are more likely to see a tap not work as it should. But the behavior is not consistent and predictable.

Updating the Apple Watch has become an exercise in futility for people like me who don’t have access to lightening-fast internet.

Lightning fast internet doesn’t do much good with the Apple Watch because it only connects to 2.4 GHz networks. Updating to watchOS 7 took me a very long time, much longer than usual, it seemed.

I have 100 Mbps Internet and it’s currently taking two hours to download watchOS 7 on another Apple Watch I’m setting up. And then after that it has to transfer the update from the iPhone to the Apple Watch over Bluetooth, which is a slow and error-prone process. It’s not just your Internet, this is a genuinely terrible update process.

1 Like

Now this hardly-beta version of Mail on iPadOS 14 isn’t even counting down the number of unread messages correctly, much less still not keeping them in order under “All Inboxes”. :rage:

You may well have checked this already but in case not, check here:

Settings → Siri & Search → Voice Memos

to ensure that “Show App in Search” is enabled. Hopefully that will correct it.

1 Like

You are my official favorite person of the day! That was exactly it, and I have absolutely no idea how those options got turned off, but it probably happened years ago. That explains why the problem persisted across versions of iOS and new iPhones too. While I vaguely knew about these settings, I’ve never seen much utility to messing with them, so I never even considered that this problem could be self-inflicted.

Strike what I said/implied about Spotlight search in iOS becoming corrupted. I have no evidence of that happening now.

Josh, Have you heard of iMessage having problems? My daughter upgraded last night on her iPhone 10. she sent a photo to her daughter who told her all she saw were “numbers”.
Thinking the photo didn’t got thru my daughter went to send it again, but iMessage app wouln’t open. She shut the iPhone down completely and rebooted to have iMessage app still not opening.
On the other hand, my granddaughter had upgraded and everything works. She has an iPhone 8+.

No, that is the first I’ve heard about that. Has she tried force-closing Messages and re-opening it?

Josh, Not that I know. But she sent me a note telling me she was on the phone with Apple. She told me she could send a text, but couldn’t get to the one she sent her daughter. I’ll wait until she calls to update you. Thank you, Al

Josh, My daughter just sent me a text letting me know the “problem” worked itself out while she was on the phone with the Apple tech. Weird.

Hopefully it was a fluke.

Be Safe, Al

1 Like

I have recently had a friend attempt to include a jpg image in a message. This has worked before, but now clicking on the generic icon gives “Downloading…” but never goes beyond “0 bytes sent” out of 1.8MB.

Latest versions of everything. No image on desktop, iPhone, or iPads.

Over the years I’ve had the same problem from time to time, but not very often at all, mostly in Apple Mail, and occasionally in iMessage. Sometimes the file wouldn’t even try opening. It happens with both large and small files, with image files or documents. I’ve tried opening them directly in my ISP’s Webmail, and so far that would be almost always unsuccessful as well. The only thing I could think of was to ask the sender to resend as another file type.

The update to iOS 14.0.1 (released today) fixed the issue. When I start typing, apps that begin with my typed characters appear at the top of the screen. As I continue typing, the list gets whittled down.

Updated, but what happened to the edit screen of Calendar appointments? Can anyone explain why I now have to modify a start/end time with the keyboard? For me this is hardly to see as an improvement. I confess I did not try any beta.

Another odd thing with Calendars and iOS 14.2…
I created an event using Calendar on my iMac then noticed it had not appeared on my iPhone or watch. However it did appear on my iPad and Macbook. Strange!
I finally tapped on the Calendars link on the iPhone and it had a message like “Verify calendar accounts”. I tapped on this and, lo, the event displayed on the iPhone and watch. I have no idea why the verification message came up.