iTunes 12.6.3

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

iTunes 12.6.3

Brian L. Matthews
Apple has released iTunes 12.6.3: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079

It has app management (and presumably other stuff) like 12.6.2 but is
compatible with iOS 11. I just updated my half 12.7/half 12.6.2 iTunes
install and it updated fine, downloaded some updated apps, and synced
them to my devices.

It's not supported, and I don't know how long it will be available, but
for now, if you like app management on your Mac, 12.6.3 gives it to you.

Yay!

Brian


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iTunes 12.6.3

Thomas Treadway
Great news.

Thomas Treadway
[hidden email]



> On Oct 9, 2017, at 13:13, Brian L. Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Apple has released iTunes 12.6.3: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208079
>
> It has app management (and presumably other stuff) like 12.6.2 but is compatible with iOS 11. I just updated my half 12.7/half 12.6.2 iTunes install and it updated fine, downloaded some updated apps, and synced them to my devices.
>
> It's not supported, and I don't know how long it will be available, but for now, if you like app management on your Mac, 12.6.3 gives it to you.
>
> Yay!
>
> Brian
>
>
> ____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
> Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
> Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
> Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
> Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
> Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
> Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
> ____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iTunes 12.6.3

Michael Gillman
Let me know when ITunes supports FLAC. 





____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iTunes 12.6.3

@lbutlr
On Oct 9, 2017, at 15:54, Michael Gillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Let me know when ITunes supports FLAC.

Never. iTunes has support for a lossless codec (ALAC) which is open source and widely supported, at least on Mac and Linux. It is superior to FLAC in that it takes much less processor work to decode, while maintaining the same (about half) compression of FLAC.

iTunes is more likely to support off than FLAC,  it that’s still statistically a 0% chance.

--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.





____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iTunes 12.6.3

Nathan Raymond
In reply to this post by Michael Gillman
I convert all FLAC files to Apple Lossless with XLD. Then I tag them with MusicBrainz Picard, which embeds all needed metadata. When an album I've bought or ripped from CD isn't in the MusicBrainz database, I add it to their database via their website and can then immediately embed the metadata with MusicBrainz Picard. The only thing I loose by going from FLAC to Apple Lossless is that FLAC has an embedded checksum so you could determine if a FLAC file or it's checksum becomes corrupted, while you'd have to rely on other data integrity solutions to maintain Apple Lossless files (but that's the same for any file format that doesn't include an integrity checksum). Apple Lossless is a royalty free format and very well supported by OS X, Windows, Linux, and most every standalone high end audio player.


On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 5:54 PM, Michael Gillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Let me know when ITunes supports FLAC. 





____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iTunes 12.6.3

Michael Gillman
In reply to this post by @lbutlr
Your numbers are off but the fact that the OS now supports it means there is no reason that Quicktime and ITunes not to. Supporting FLAC doesn't mean that it still wouldn't support ALACor that you couldn't still use whatever codec you chose. After all it supports both WAV and AIFF. There is no contest, most people use FLAC rather than ALAC. 

Mike

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 16:40 LuKreme <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Oct 9, 2017, at 15:54, Michael Gillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Let me know when ITunes supports FLAC.

Never. iTunes has support for a lossless codec (ALAC) which is open source and widely supported, at least on Mac and Linux. It is superior to FLAC in that it takes much less processor work to decode, while maintaining the same (about half) compression of FLAC.

iTunes is more likely to support off than FLAC,  it that’s still statistically a 0% chance.

--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.





____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iTunes 12.6.3

@lbutlr
In reply to this post by @lbutlr
On 09 Oct 2017, at 17:37, LuKreme <[hidden email]> wrote:
> iTunes is more likely to support off than FLAC,

Sorry, ogg. Didn’t notice the Autocorrect.

On 09 Oct 2017, at 17:47, Michael Gillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Your numbers are off but the fact that the OS now supports it means there is no reason that Quicktime and ITunes not to. Supporting FLAC doesn't mean that it still wouldn't support ALACor that you couldn't still use whatever codec you chose. After all it supports both WAV and AIFF. There is no contest, most people use FLAC rather than ALAC.

What numbers are off? The only number is “about half” which is true for both FLAC and ALAC. Or are you obkjecting to the 0% chance?

Apple evaluated FLAC and decided to write their own Lossless codec, so that strongly indicates Apple is never going to support FLAC in iTunes. There is no reason to and it provides no benefit. ALAC provides numerous benefits, including support on over a billion iOS devices.

--
Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iTunes 12.6.3

Nathan Raymond
In reply to this post by Michael Gillman
Personally I don't do things just because many others do (i.e. lots of people do two-pass video encodes with Handbrake even though constant quality is superior and more efficient, and in general there's lots of lousy advice on the internet about video encoding). Why would someone want to use FLAC over ALAC, apart from the integrated file checksum?


On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 7:47 PM, Michael Gillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
Your numbers are off but the fact that the OS now supports it means there is no reason that Quicktime and ITunes not to. Supporting FLAC doesn't mean that it still wouldn't support ALACor that you couldn't still use whatever codec you chose. After all it supports both WAV and AIFF. There is no contest, most people use FLAC rather than ALAC. 

Mike

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 16:40 LuKreme <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Oct 9, 2017, at 15:54, Michael Gillman <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Let me know when ITunes supports FLAC.

Never. iTunes has support for a lossless codec (ALAC) which is open source and widely supported, at least on Mac and Linux. It is superior to FLAC in that it takes much less processor work to decode, while maintaining the same (about half) compression of FLAC.

iTunes is more likely to support off than FLAC,  it that’s still statistically a 0% chance.

--
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.





____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: iTunes 12.6.3

Mark D. McKean
In reply to this post by Michael Gillman
On 10/09/2017 07:47 pm, Michael Gillman wrote:
> Your numbers are off but the fact that the OS now supports it means
> there is no reason that Quicktime and ITunes not to. Supporting FLAC
> doesn't mean that it still wouldn't support ALACor that you couldn't
> still use whatever codec you chose. After all it supports both WAV and
> AIFF. There is no contest, most people use FLAC rather than ALAC. 
>
Apple has no reason to add FLAC support to iTunes. Lossless audio
formats are a niche product used by a narrow segment of users. Most
people who use FLAC use more sophisticated audio tools than iTunes
anyway, because they're serious about their audio. iTunes is a
consumer-level, mass-market tool aimed squarely at the bulk of ordinary
users. The typical iTunes user has never even heard of FLAC.

Remember that the only money Apple makes directly from iTunes is through
the iTunes Store. What audio formats have been sold on the iTunes Store?
MP3, MP4/M4A, and ALAC. Why would they add support for audio formats
they've never sold?

And bringing WAV and AIFF into the discussion is a completely separate
matter. Those are older formats whose common use long predates iTunes.
AIFF has never been considered a good format for long audio, because
it's essentially uncompressed. It's now primarily used for sound clips
in other apps, not audio that exists for its own value (and has been
discouraged for Mac and iOS apps for some time now, having been
replaced/updated with .caf format).

WAV, on the other hand, isn't even the same kind of file format as the
others mentioned here, because it's basically just a container--it
supports a wide variety of codecs, both lossy and lossless. WAV exists
because Microsoft wanted its own proprietary AV system to compete with
QuickTime.

"Most people use FLAC rather than ALAC" may or may not be true; I've
never seen any actual numbers on it. If it is true, that's probably due
to FLAC having been around longer and having a wider variety of tools
available for it, particularly on non-Apple platforms (Windows and
Linux, primarily), rather than any inherent superiority in the format.
Audiophiles are notoriously loyal to their preferred brands and formats.

If Apple cared about giving iTunes users more options in how they used
it, they wouldn't keep adding new restrictions on how third-party
products can interact with it. I recently discovered that iTunes 12.6
prevents third-party tools from modifying its audio output in any way,
meaning that external audio processors like Hear and Boom no longer can
be used to improve the sound coming from iTunes. That's not the sort of
thing you do if you actually want audiophiles to use your product.

Mark D. McKean
[hidden email]





____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____