TidBITS: Security Update 2017-001 (Sierra) and Security Update 2017-004 ( El Capitan)

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

TidBITS: Security Update 2017-001 (Sierra) and Security Update 2017-004 ( El Capitan)

TidBITS Articles
Security Update 2017-001 (Sierra) and Security Update 2017-004 (El Capitan)

This article was just published by TidBITS and sent to you at your request.

Security Update 2017-001 (Sierra) and Security Update 2017-004 (El Capitan)

By Agen G. N. Schmitz
http://tidbits.com/article/17610

Apple has released Security Updates 2017-001 macOS Sierra and 2017-004 OS X v10.11.6 El Capitan, patching security vulnerabilities that the company addresses in macOS 10.13.1 High Sierra (see “macOS 10.13.1 High Sierra Offers Minor Fixes and More Emoji,” 1 November 2017), as well as many other security breaches in the two older operating systems. The security updates include fixes for the KRACK exploits (see “Wi-Fi Security Flaw Not As Bad As It’s KRACKed Up To Be,” 17 October 2017), patch multiple memory corruption issues that could lead to arbitrary code execution with kernel privileges, improve input sanitization to prevent an application from reading restricted memory, address multiple issues in Apache, and more. Apple recommends these updates for all users. (Free. For 10.12.6 Sierra, 768.3 MB; for 10.11.6 El Capitan, 853.6 MB; security content release notes)

Post a comment

TidBITS members can unsubscribe from just-published articles at http://tidbits.com/subscriptions. TidBITS Talk readers will need to create a filter to delete these articles.

Article copyright © 2017 By Agen G. N. Schmitz . Reuse governed by Creative Commons License.




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TidBITS: Security Update 2017-001 (Sierra) and Security Update 2017-004 ( El Capitan)

Jerome King-2
This turned out to be a major update for me with my iMac running Sierra

Surprised it wasn’t presented by the Mac App Store as an update.  At least for me it didn’t show

Jerry
On Nov 1, 2017, at 11:56 PM, TidBITS Articles <[hidden email]> wrote:

This article was just published by TidBITS and sent to you at your request.

Security Update 2017-001 (Sierra) and Security Update 2017-004 (El Capitan)

By Agen G. N. Schmitz 
http://tidbits.com/article/17610

Apple has released Security Updates 2017-001 macOS Sierra and 2017-004 OS X v10.11.6 El Capitan, patching security vulnerabilities that the company addresses in macOS 10.13.1 High Sierra (see “macOS 10.13.1 High Sierra Offers Minor Fixes and More Emoji,” 1 November 2017), as well as many other security breaches in the two older operating systems. The security updates include fixes for the KRACK exploits (see “Wi-Fi Security Flaw Not As Bad As It’s KRACKed Up To Be,” 17 October 2017), patch multiple memory corruption issues that could lead to arbitrary code execution with kernel privileges, improve input sanitization to prevent an application from reading restricted memory, address multiple issues in Apache, and more. Apple recommends these updates for all users. (Free. For 10.12.6 Sierra, 768.3 MB; for 10.11.6 El Capitan, 853.6 MB; security content release notes)

Post a comment

TidBITS members can unsubscribe from just-published articles at http://tidbits.com/subscriptions. TidBITS Talk readers will need to create a filter to delete these articles.

Article copyright © 2017 By Agen G. N. Schmitz . Reuse governed by Creative Commons License.



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TidBITS: Security Update 2017-001 (Sierra) and Security Update 2017-004 ( El Capitan)

Roger Henriques
Didn’t show up for me either, just updates to Safari and iTunes.

Roger H.
[hidden email]




> On 02-11-2017, at 10:53 AM, Jerome King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This turned out to be a major update for me with my iMac running Sierra
>
> Surprised it wasn’t presented by the Mac App Store as an update.  At least for me it didn’t show




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TidBITS: Security Update 2017-001 (Sierra) and Security Update 2017-004 ( El Capitan)

David Brostoff-2
In reply to this post by Jerome King-2

> On Nov 2, 2017, at 7:53 AM, Jerome King <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> This turned out to be a major update for me with my iMac running Sierra
>
> Surprised it wasn’t presented by the Mac App Store as an update.  At least for me it didn’t show

Yes -- the same for me with a MacBook Pro with 10.12.6.

It wasn't listed under Updates Available and isn't there now under Updates Installed in the Last 30 Days.

David




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TidBITS: Security Update 2017-001 (Sierra) and Security Update 2017-004 ( El Capitan)

Alexander Forbes
On Nov 2, 2017, at 10:48 PM, David Brostoff <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yes -- the same for me with a MacBook Pro with 10.12.6.

It wasn't listed under Updates Available and isn't there now under Updates Installed in the Last 30 Days.

I did the El Capitan security update within my App Store Updates last night, on my 2009 Mac Pro.

But it took me two tries. To fill the long time void while App Store scans for available updates, seems Apple decided to display a non-dismissible collection of hot trending apps they want you to buy. Considering my vision issues, I assumed I had just clocked the wrong tab, quit App Store, and tried again. Same annoying result, but eventually the new security update presented itself. It installed the rest time, though, as someone else noted, it was a very LONG time for a security update.

Disclaimer: This happened on my Mac, in my neighborhood at that particular time. It may not be a valid predictor of what YOUR Mac will do. Perhaps you have been meaning to buy a basket of strawberries, or a world cruise tour, or a package of men’s briefs or can of DRANO - limited time offer, hurry, you must act promptly. Be excited!  

There used to be a master document called "User Interface Guileless” written by some very smart Apple designers. Get it together, Apple! 

Alex




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TidBITS: Security Update 2017-001 (Sierra) and Security Update 2017-004 ( El Capitan)

Mark Chaffin
I updated El Capitan on my 2009 Mac Pro as well. It took a long time and in general, acted like a complete system upgrade. I’m happy that Apple is continuing its support of El Capitan, though, since the ol' Pro can’t take Sierra.

I’ve never seen ads as you describe. Interesting.

Mark

On 3 Nov 17, at 6:35 AM, Alexander Forbes <[hidden email]> wrote:

ut it took me two tries. To fill the long time void while App Store scans for available updates, seems Apple decided to display a non-dismissible collection of hot trending apps they want you to buy. Considering my vision issues, I assumed I had just clocked the wrong tab, quit App Store, and tried again. Same annoying result, but eventually the new security update presented itself. It installed the rest time, though, as someone else noted, it was a very LONG time for a security update.




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: TidBITS: Security Update 2017-001 (Sierra) and Security Update 2017-004 ( El Capitan)

@lbutlr
In reply to this post by Jerome King-2
On 2 Nov 2017, at 08:53, Jerome King <[hidden email]> wrote:
> This turned out to be a major update for me with my iMac running Sierra
>
> Surprised it wasn’t presented by the Mac App Store as an update.  At least for me it didn’t show

These updates normally show up after a few days or maybe even a week giving time for people to get them manually and the content to meander out to the CDNs.


--
Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____