TidBITS: Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

TidBITS: Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

TidBITS Articles
Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

This article was just published by TidBITS and sent to you at your request.

Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

By Josh Centers
http://tidbits.com/article/17333

Many owners of the original Apple Watch, including TidBITS editor in chief Tonya Engst, have had trouble with the rear cover’s glue failing. In response, Apple has quietly launched an extended repair program for the first-generation Apple Watch, per internal Apple documents published by Ben Lovejoy at 9to5Mac. Apple will correct this problem for free within three years of the date of purchase.

This repair program covers all makes of the first-generation Apple Watch, including the Apple Watch, Apple Watch Sport, Apple Watch Hermès, and Apple Watch Edition. It’s uncertain whether Apple will repair your actual device replace it entirely. Apple recommends that users back up their Apple Watches before bringing them in, so be prepared for anything.

There is no troubleshooting process to determine if your Apple Watch is affected, just a visual inspection. For that reason, your best bet to get service is to go directly to an Apple Store, if you have one within a reasonable driving distance. Otherwise, you can contact Apple Support in the United States at 1-800-275-2273 or via online chat.

If you’ve paid Apple to repair this issue, the document recommends contacting AppleCare to see about a refund.

Post a comment

TidBITS members can unsubscribe from just-published articles at http://tidbits.com/subscriptions. TidBITS Talk readers will need to create a filter to delete these articles.

Article copyright © 2017 By Josh Centers . Reuse governed by Creative Commons License.




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: TidBITS: Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

Nicky Y. Schleider
don’t know which version you have, but i’m sending this just in case.
On Jul 11, 2017, at 4:37 PM, TidBITS Articles <[hidden email]> wrote:

This article was just published by TidBITS and sent to you at your request.

Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

By Josh Centers 
http://tidbits.com/article/17333

Many owners of the original Apple Watch, including TidBITS editor in chief Tonya Engst, have had trouble with the rear cover’s glue failing. In response, Apple has quietly launched an extended repair program for the first-generation Apple Watch, per internal Apple documents published by Ben Lovejoy at 9to5Mac. Apple will correct this problem for free within three years of the date of purchase.

This repair program covers all makes of the first-generation Apple Watch, including the Apple Watch, Apple Watch Sport, Apple Watch Hermès, and Apple Watch Edition. It’s uncertain whether Apple will repair your actual device replace it entirely. Apple recommends that users back up their Apple Watches before bringing them in, so be prepared for anything.

There is no troubleshooting process to determine if your Apple Watch is affected, just a visual inspection. For that reason, your best bet to get service is to go directly to an Apple Store, if you have one within a reasonable driving distance. Otherwise, you can contact Apple Support in the United States at 1-800-275-2273 or via online chat.

If you’ve paid Apple to repair this issue, the document recommends contacting AppleCare to see about a refund.

Post a comment

TidBITS members can unsubscribe from just-published articles at http://tidbits.com/subscriptions. TidBITS Talk readers will need to create a filter to delete these articles.

Article copyright © 2017 By Josh Centers . Reuse governed by Creative Commons License.



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: TidBITS: Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

@lbutlr
In reply to this post by TidBITS Articles
On 11 Jul 2017, at 14:37, TidBITS Articles <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Many owners of the original Apple Watch, including TidBITS editor in chief Tonya Engst, have had trouble with the rear cover’s glue failing. In response, Apple has quietly launched an extended repair program for the first-generation Apple Watch, per internal Apple documents published by Ben Lovejoy at 9to5Mac. Apple will correct this problem for free within three years of the date of purchase.

I've known about this problem for a while, but I thought it was affecting the steel watches only (something to do with the adhesive). Has the problem spread to the other lines as well?

--
Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: TidBITS: Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

Paul Schinder

> On Jul 13, 2017, at 11:03 AM, @lbutlr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 11 Jul 2017, at 14:37, TidBITS Articles <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Many owners of the original Apple Watch, including TidBITS editor in chief Tonya Engst, have had trouble with the rear cover’s glue failing. In response, Apple has quietly launched an extended repair program for the first-generation Apple Watch, per internal Apple documents published by Ben Lovejoy at 9to5Mac. Apple will correct this problem for free within three years of the date of purchase.
>
> I've known about this problem for a while, but I thought it was affecting the steel watches only (something to do with the adhesive). Has the problem spread to the other lines as well?

For what it’s worth, my 42mm aluminum 1st gen AW shows no obvious problem. What happens, does the HR sensor come loose?

>
> --
> Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.
>
>


--
Paul Schinder
[hidden email]






____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: TidBITS: Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

adamengst
Administrator
On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Paul Schinder <[hidden email]> wrote:
For what it’s worth, my 42mm aluminum 1st gen AW shows no obvious problem. What happens, does the HR sensor come loose?

I added a picture of ours — Tristan has been keeping it on with tape.


cheers... -Adam 




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: TidBITS: Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

Paul Schinder

> On Jul 13, 2017, at 2:32 PM, Adam Engst <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Paul Schinder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> For what it’s worth, my 42mm aluminum 1st gen AW shows no obvious problem. What happens, does the HR sensor come loose?
>
> I added a picture of ours — Tristan has been keeping it on with tape.

I really wish Apple and Garmin would make models without OHR.  I like my AW for many things, but I pay zero attention to any HR data it takes.  If I’m wearing a watch for an actual physical activity (which I mostly don’t do), I’m wearing it outside of clothing where the HR won’t work.  I have HR chest straps for those times when I actually care about my heart rate, and those are much more reliable than any OHR.  I’d pay (less, I hope) for an Apple Watch without the OHR sensor.

>
> http://tidbits.com/article/17333
>
> cheers... -Adam


--
Paul Schinder
[hidden email]






____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: TidBITS: Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

@lbutlr
On 13 Jul 2017, at 13:24, Paul Schinder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I really wish Apple and Garmin would make models without OHR.  I like my AW for many things, but I pay zero attention to any HR data it takes.

I have no idea what OHR or HR are. I can guess from the context that "H" is health? If so, you are definitely in the minority as Apple has put a lot of effort and time into improving the health related features of the watch because so many people use them.

From people I know and articles I read and podcasts I listen to and features Apple is adding it seems that health is the primary use of the Watch for most users with notifications a definite second place.

We have two first generation watches (aluminum) and haven't seen the issue, but I will check with the kids and see if there are any signs of separation.

--
Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: TidBITS: Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

Paul Schinder

> On Jul 13, 2017, at 3:40 PM, @lbutlr <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 13 Jul 2017, at 13:24, Paul Schinder <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I really wish Apple and Garmin would make models without OHR.  I like my AW for many things, but I pay zero attention to any HR data it takes.
>
> I have no idea what OHR or HR are. I can guess from the context that "H" is health? If so, you are definitely in the minority as Apple has put a lot of effort and time into improving the health related features of the watch because so many people use them.

HR is “heart rate” and OHR is “optical heart rate”.  I don’t pay any attention to my heart rate from my AW because I don’t need heart rates out of context.  When I do care about my heart rate it’s recorded on an device along with plenty of context (GPS location, elevation, speed, etc.).  Yes, I’m in a minority.  I have a Strava account (Google is your friend), and I believe it’s public so you can look at why I don’t care about OHR, and why I consider an Apple Watch to be a joke as a fitness device.

>
> From people I know and articles I read and podcasts I listen to and features Apple is adding it seems that health is the primary use of the Watch for most users with notifications a definite second place.
>
> We have two first generation watches (aluminum) and haven't seen the issue, but I will check with the kids and see if there are any signs of separation.
>
> --
> Apple broke AppleScripting signatures in Mail.app, so no random signatures.
>
>


--
Paul Schinder
[hidden email]






____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: TidBITS: Apple Launches Repair Program for First-Generation Apple Watches

Nicholas Miller
In reply to this post by adamengst
My wife’s first gen AW had this problem, and was replaced under warranty a couple of months ago.  The picture is exactly what we saw. It was loose from the watch but still attached by a couple of small wires.

Nick

On Jul 13, 2017, at 2:32 PM, Adam Engst <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 1:52 PM, Paul Schinder <[hidden email]> wrote:
For what it’s worth, my 42mm aluminum 1st gen AW shows no obvious problem. What happens, does the HR sensor come loose?

I added a picture of ours — Tristan has been keeping it on with tape.


cheers... -Adam 





____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Loading...