Spotify ‘Sponsored Songs’ lets labels pay for plays | TechCrunch

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Spotify ‘Sponsored Songs’ lets labels pay for plays | TechCrunch

Marilyn Matty

It's not like they have a revenue stream from hardware sales:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/06/19/spotify-sponsored-content/

Marilyn


Sent from my iPad


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Spotify ‘Sponsored Songs’ lets labels pay for plays | TechCrunch

Rodney

On Jun 20, 2017, at 17:04, Marilyn Matty <[hidden email]> wrote:

It's not like they have a revenue stream from hardware sales:

Sponsored songs? In my youth, they called it Payola, and several prominent DJs, including folks like Dick Clark, got in a lot of trouble over it...



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Spotify ‘Sponsored Songs’ lets labels pay for plays | TechCrunch

Brian L. Matthews
On 6/20/17 9:10 AM, Rodney wrote:
 >
 >> On Jun 20, 2017, at 17:04, Marilyn Matty <[hidden email]> wrote:
 >>
 >> It's not like they have a revenue stream from hardware sales:
 >
 > Sponsored songs? In my youth, they called it Payola, and several
prominent DJs, including folks like Dick Clark, got in a lot of trouble
over it...

The article mentions that. To avoid problems, radio stations need to
specify when a song being played has been paid to be played and not
count it in their normal play counts. Presumably Spotify could do
something similar.

Brian


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Spotify ‘Sponsored Songs’ lets labels pay for plays | TechCrunch

Marilyn Matty

> On Jun 20, 2017, at 12:38 PM, Brian L. Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 6/20/17 9:10 AM, Rodney wrote:
>>
>>> On Jun 20, 2017, at 17:04, Marilyn Matty <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> It's not like they have a revenue stream from hardware sales:
>>
>> Sponsored songs? In my youth, they called it Payola, and several prominent DJs, including folks like Dick Clark, got in a lot of trouble over it...
>
> The article mentions that. To avoid problems, radio stations need to specify when a song being played has been paid to be played and not count it in their normal play counts. Presumably Spotify could do something similar.

What continues to surprise me is that they have only 50 million paid subscribers out of a total of 140 million, and their losses keep increasing as the number of paid subscribers grows. Spotify intends to go public this year or next, and they need to show potential investors they've the potential for more revenue coming in from somewhere. But they are already competing for advertising dollars with Google/YouTube, who will continue to expand music services. Facebook, who has been going gangbusters with video, will be moving into music as well.

Marilyn



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Spotify ‘Sponsored Songs’ lets labels pay for plays | TechCrunch

Rodney

On Jun 20, 2017, at 19:38, Marilyn Matty <[hidden email]> wrote:

What continues to surprise me is that they have only 50 million paid subscribers out of a total of 140 million, and their losses keep increasing as the number of paid subscribers grows.

There’s the old joke, “Sell it at a loss and make it up in volume…"



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Loading...