Quicken

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
19 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Quicken

dianed143@comcast.net
Is anyone here a Quicken user? I’m on the Quicken Mac group but it’s pretty quiet. I have a few questions about upgrading from 2006.

Thanks
Diane




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

David Tuma
I've been a user forever- upgraded to 7 and  now on 2017

Sent from my iPhone

> On Sep 27, 2017, at 11:36, Diane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Is anyone here a Quicken user? I’m on the Quicken Mac group but it’s pretty quiet. I have a few questions about upgrading from 2006.
>
> Thanks
> Diane
>
>
>
>
> ____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
> Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
> Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
> Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
> Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
> Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
> Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
> ____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

Woodard Paul
I'm still happily using the 2007 version

Paul

On Sep 27, 2017, at 11:59 AM, David Tuma <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've been a user forever- upgraded to 7 and  now on 2017

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 27, 2017, at 11:36, Diane <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is anyone here a Quicken user? I’m on the Quicken Mac group but it’s pretty quiet. I have a few questions about upgrading from 2006.

Thanks
Diane




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

TidBITS Talk mailing list
In reply to this post by dianed143@comcast.net
I’m using 2017.

Chuck

On Sep 27, 2017, at 11:36 AM, Diane <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is anyone here a Quicken user? I’m on the Quicken Mac group but it’s pretty quiet. I have a few questions about upgrading from 2006.

Thanks
Diane




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____

Charles E. Hawkins                                  Ask Questions
Professor Emeritus of Physics                Seek Answers
Department of Physics and Geology       Question the Answers
Northern Kentucky University Question the Questions
Highland Heights, Kentucky
Phone:    859-572-0925
FAX:        859-572-6092




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

dianed143@comcast.net
In reply to this post by Woodard Paul
Can you download transactions in 2007? I made a 2017 dummy file and was less than impressed. 

I have 2007 as well but have rarely used it. 

Thanks
Diane

Sent from my Verizon iPhone

On Sep 27, 2017, at 12:35 PM, Paul(ZOM) <[hidden email]> wrote:

I'm still happily using the 2007 version

Paul

On Sep 27, 2017, at 11:59 AM, David Tuma <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've been a user forever- upgraded to 7 and  now on 2017

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 27, 2017, at 11:36, Diane <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is anyone here a Quicken user? I’m on the Quicken Mac group but it’s pretty quiet. I have a few questions about upgrading from 2006.

Thanks
Diane








____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

Alexander Forbes
In reply to this post by TidBITS Talk mailing list

I too have been a user practically forever. Currently on Q2017 for Mac, from my point of view just as quirky as Mac version was years ago. I stopped using Q for PC around 2010 and I liked it.

I see Intuit has “spun off” Quicken to a new Quicken company. I have vision issues and if there has been a TidBITS  thread on this switchover, I missed it. Same product, with some minor updates. The “new” product keeps reminding me to create a new Quicken Cloud account, which I never used before and won;’t use now. The screen does not have a “don’t remind me again” checkbox.

A;ex


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

Alexander Forbes
In reply to this post by dianed143@comcast.net

On Sep 27, 2017, at 9:58 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

Can you download transactions in 2007? I made a 2017 dummy file and was less than impressed.

Diane, I have never been impressed with ANY Quicken export/import, Mac or PC. 
:-(

The few times I have had to or chosen to do it, I ended up adjusting balances on current accounts and just moving on from there. 

Alex




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

dianed143@comcast.net
Alex, it was the version itself I didn't like. I can deal with it if I have to but if 2007 will download transactions, including investments, I may stick with it.

I've been using 2006 on a G4 since 2006.

Dian
Sent from my Verizon iPhone

>




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

Brian L. Matthews
In reply to this post by dianed143@comcast.net
On 9/27/17 9:58 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Can you download transactions in 2007? I made a 2017 dummy file and
> was less than impressed.

I use 2007 and download transactions from a number of institutions, but
not all I use support download, and 2017 supports some that 2007
doesn't, so it kind of depends on where you want to download from.

I use (and have used for years) 2007 for my personal finances, and 2017
for a (much simpler) estate I'm executor of. While the two are
definitely different, except for investment handling, 2007 and 2017 seem
fairly equivalent to me (which isn't to say every single feature of 2007
is present in 2017, but I haven't found any I can't live without or do a
different way). The big reason I don't convert my personal finances to
2017 is investment handling in 2017, it's quite a bit weaker than in 2007.

Brian


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

Woodard Paul
I just read that soon (10.14?) no 32 bit apps will run so I'd say we have a year to find a replacement for 2007

Paul

On Sep 27, 2017, at 2:13 PM, Brian L. Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 9/27/17 9:58 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
Can you download transactions in 2007? I made a 2017 dummy file and was less than impressed.

I use 2007 and download transactions from a number of institutions, but not all I use support download, and 2017 supports some that 2007 doesn't, so it kind of depends on where you want to download from.

I use (and have used for years) 2007 for my personal finances, and 2017 for a (much simpler) estate I'm executor of. While the two are definitely different, except for investment handling, 2007 and 2017 seem fairly equivalent to me (which isn't to say every single feature of 2007 is present in 2017, but I haven't found any I can't live without or do a different way). The big reason I don't convert my personal finances to 2017 is investment handling in 2017, it's quite a bit weaker than in 2007.

Brian


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

dianed143@comcast.net
In reply to this post by Alexander Forbes
I’ve been using it since the late 1980s - was it Chipsoft or did they only have MacInTax? In any case, I used to work for a rental company (part of ComputerLand) and actually was so enamored by Quicken that I bought it and used to lug my SE to work to get my accounts started on my lunch break.

I think I did every update through 2006. It’s been ok for me but of course downloads have gone away.

Remember when you’d be excited about a product update? When it was really and update with great new things in it? Quicken hasn’t had that for well over 10 years now.

I don’t know what’s up with financial institutions this week. I’ve been getting SSL errors on just about everything, download error, etc.

I tried to get 2007 working on the laptop but then read one of the comments in this thread that it will go away with High Sierra? So it doesn’t make sense to invest in that although it has the feel of the versions I like. In addition, I can’t connect to my credit union or my Chase accounts no matter what I do. So that’s off the table.

I went back to 2017, after deleting and reinstalling it, started another new account and imported the 2007 file (which was upgraded from my 2006 file). I then painstakingly went though each account one by one to get them online.

It will not accept my Ameriprise account no matter what I do. That seems to be a common issue.

It will not download more than a certain amount of transactions from my Chase credit card. I don’t see any way to change that setting, but it’s my own fault for not keeping it balance. It’s only a few months out.

Reports are going to take a LOT of getting used to, aren’t they? Even something as simple as “use current account” doesn’t seem to be there. I just hope I can get what I need for tax time.

I am really struggling with whether the benefit of downloading transactions outweighs losing the functionality I’ve been used to for so many years. I do have a 2008 unibody Macbook I can use.

I absolutely hate the look of it. I mean, I really don’t need a little “poof” when I delete something.

I think updating to the most recent version caused a lot of login issues for me. Every time I tried to hook up an account to download it would loop me into the Inuit login. Again, why do I NEED to login to Intuit? So for now I’m just saying to remind me later. I’m sure that will break something as time goes on.

And I guess I’ll add me to the list of people who look for alternatives. :(

I do like the improvements in the investment accounts - that and downloads (once working) are the only positive I’ll give to it. I’d be willing to look into a standalone investment tracking program if there is something better.

Thanks all for the comments!

Diane


> On Sep 27, 2017, at 1:06 PM, Alexander Forbes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> I too have been a user practically forever. Currently on Q2017 for Mac, from my point of view just as quirky as Mac version was years ago. I stopped using Q for PC around 2010 and I liked it.
>
> I see Intuit has “spun off” Quicken to a new Quicken company. I have vision issues and if there has been a TidBITS  thread on this switchover, I missed it. Same product, with some minor updates. The “new” product keeps reminding me to create a new Quicken Cloud account, which I never used before and won;’t use now. The screen does not have a “don’t remind me again” checkbox.



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

dianed143@comcast.net
In reply to this post by Brian L. Matthews
>
> I use (and have used for years) 2007 for my personal finances, and 2017 for a (much simpler) estate I'm executor of. While the two are definitely different, except for investment handling, 2007 and 2017 seem fairly equivalent to me (which isn't to say every single feature of 2007 is present in 2017, but I haven't found any I can't live without or do a different way). The big reason I don't convert my personal finances to 2017 is investment handling in 2017, it's quite a bit weaker than in 2007.

I stand corrected. Scottrade did download into Q2007. It has not in 2006 for a long time.

No graphs in 2017!!!

And I miss having multiple windows open.

Diane




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

Brian L. Matthews
On 9/27/17 8:01 PM, Diane wrote:
> No graphs in 2017!!!
There's some minimal graphing (spending & income, portfolio value,
budgets), but I suspect it's not anything close to 2007, although I
rarely used graphs in 2007.
> And I miss having multiple windows open.
Double-clicking or ^O (control-O) will open the current account or
accounts heading in a new window, as will right-clicking the
account/heading name in the list on the left and choosing Open in New
Window. It looks like you can have as many windows open as you want, but
it seems to scatter them about instead of always in the same place like
2007, and doesn't have the "one register at a time" feature of 2007 (at
least that I can find, although I haven't used 2017 nearly as much as
I've used 2007).

Brian


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

dianed143@comcast.net

> On Sep 28, 2017, at 2:44 AM, Brian L. Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 9/27/17 8:01 PM, Diane wrote:
>> No graphs in 2017!!!
> There's some minimal graphing (spending & income, portfolio value, budgets), but I suspect it's not anything close to 2007, although I rarely used graphs in 2007.
>> And I miss having multiple windows open.
> Double-clicking or ^O (control-O) will open the current account or accounts heading in a new window, as will right-clicking the account/heading name in the list on the left and choosing Open in New Window. It looks like you can have as many windows open as you want, but it seems to scatter them about instead of always in the same place like 2007, and doesn't have the "one register at a time" feature of 2007 (at least that I can find, although I haven't used 2017 nearly as much as I've used 2007).


Oh boy, I have to spend a lot  more time in there I guess! I did see open in new (or separate) window on accounts but couldn’t figure it out for something else I was doing.

Here’s another thing I don’t see - can you move a transaction into a different account? I remember when that was added. Not something that happens every day, but sure comes in handy sometimes.

Diane


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

Tori Hernandez
In reply to this post by David Tuma
Hello I just installed quicken 2017 and imported 2007 info. 
I'm sure I'm going to have many questions. 
How do I join the quicken Mac group?

I installed quicken 2015 2 yrs ago and didn't like it nor understand it. I gave up and went back to quicken 2007. 

Now I'm determined to use 2017 since I'm tired of manually entering all bank data. 

Tori
415 272-1944

On Sep 27, 2017, at 8:59 AM, David Tuma <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've been a user forever- upgraded to 7 and  now on 2017

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 27, 2017, at 11:36, Diane <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is anyone here a Quicken user? I’m on the Quicken Mac group but it’s pretty quiet. I have a few questions about upgrading from 2006.

Thanks
Diane




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

David Tuma
When I did 2017 for my accounts - in particular, NFCU, I had to go to settings and change connection type and then redo each NFCU account - about 15 or so.  It took time but has been working since about February and I’m happy with 2017.

David


On Sep 28, 2017, at 12:18 PM, Tori Hernandez <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello I just installed quicken 2017 and imported 2007 info. 
I'm sure I'm going to have many questions. 
How do I join the quicken Mac group?

I installed quicken 2015 2 yrs ago and didn't like it nor understand it. I gave up and went back to quicken 2007. 

Now I'm determined to use 2017 since I'm tired of manually entering all bank data. 

Tori
415 272-1944

On Sep 27, 2017, at 8:59 AM, David Tuma <[hidden email]> wrote:

I've been a user forever- upgraded to 7 and  now on 2017

Sent from my iPhone

On Sep 27, 2017, at 11:36, Diane <[hidden email]> wrote:

Is anyone here a Quicken user? I’m on the Quicken Mac group but it’s pretty quiet. I have a few questions about upgrading from 2006.

Thanks
Diane




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

Bill Guion
In reply to this post by dianed143@comcast.net
Diane,

I've used Quicken since it was first made available, except for a short period when it wouldn't run on the (then) latest OS update. Admittedly, when Intuit had it, at least toward the end, they appeared not to care so much about the Mac community. No new features, etc.

But at least on paper, the new owners appear to be committed to the Mac and have asked for recommendations for features. I do not consider myself a power user - track bank account, credit card accounts, and investment accounts. No budgets, etc. The latest version does almost everything I want it to, and I've found workarounds for those few things it doesn't do. Yes, you can download from institutions that participate. Not all do, but many do. So it would depend on who your account is with. And you can "move" a transaction from one account to another easily - in the account window with the transaction to be moved, "grab" the transaction and slide it to the desired account name in the list of accounts on the left.

And, yes, you may have multiple windows open.

The two biggest complaints I have now are 1) in the banking and/or credit card register, when you add a new transaction it uses the date from the previous transaction. This is desired behavior for me. But in the Investment register, for a new transaction it always enters today's date. So I have to manually enter the correct date. When I'm entering from the monthly statement, today's date is never the date I need. If Quicken used the date from the previous entry, that is often correct and using the + key will advance the date one day per keystroke. But it isn't a show stopper. 2) There are two of us using our credit cards. Each is tracked independently. So when I reconcile a credit card statement, I would like to know how much did I spend and how much did my wife spend. The information is there, and the old Quicken would give a report on "pending" transactions. The current program does not. So I have to create a tag for "pending" that Quicken will use to create the report. After all is reconciled, I have to clear that tag from those transactions. Again, not a big deal and it gives me what I want. Just a little extra work that I think could be fixed easily.

Hope this helps.

     -----===== Bill =====-----

> On Sep 28, 2017, at 8:06 AM, Diane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>> On Sep 28, 2017, at 2:44 AM, Brian L. Matthews <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 9/27/17 8:01 PM, Diane wrote:
>>> No graphs in 2017!!!
>> There's some minimal graphing (spending & income, portfolio value, budgets), but I suspect it's not anything close to 2007, although I rarely used graphs in 2007.
>>> And I miss having multiple windows open.
>> Double-clicking or ^O (control-O) will open the current account or accounts heading in a new window, as will right-clicking the account/heading name in the list on the left and choosing Open in New Window. It looks like you can have as many windows open as you want, but it seems to scatter them about instead of always in the same place like 2007, and doesn't have the "one register at a time" feature of 2007 (at least that I can find, although I haven't used 2017 nearly as much as I've used 2007).
>
>
> Oh boy, I have to spend a lot  more time in there I guess! I did see open in new (or separate) window on accounts but couldn’t figure it out for something else I was doing.
>
> Here’s another thing I don’t see - can you move a transaction into a different account? I remember when that was added. Not something that happens every day, but sure comes in handy sometimes.
>
> Diane
>
>
> ____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
> Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
> Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
> Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
> Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
> Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
> Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
> ____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

Brian L. Matthews
In reply to this post by dianed143@comcast.net
On 9/28/17 5:06 AM, Diane wrote:
> Here’s another thing I don’t see - can you move a transaction into a
> different account? I remember when that was added. Not something that
> happens every day, but sure comes in handy sometimes.

You can drag a transaction from a transaction list to an account in the
list on the left and it will move the transaction. Undo undoes the move.
I prefer the way 2007 did it, but as you say, it doesn't happen every
day, so I can live with drag and drop (and maybe there's a way more
similar to 2007 that I just haven't found yet).

Brian


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Quicken

Brian L. Matthews
In reply to this post by Tori Hernandez
On 9/28/17 9:18 AM, Tori Hernandez wrote:
Hello I just installed quicken 2017 and imported 2007 info. 
I'm sure I'm going to have many questions. 
How do I join the quicken Mac group?
I don't know for sure, but it's a Yahoo! group so go to groups.yahoo.com and poke around. You'll have to have a login at Yahoo!, but you can have group emails sent to some other email address.
I installed quicken 2015 2 yrs ago and didn't like it nor understand it. I gave up and went back to quicken 2007.
Yeah, I tried some older version, probably 2015, and didn't like it either so went back to 2007. I could probably live with 2017 if I had to. I've tried a few other financial management programs and have been unimpressed, either with the import process or accuracy, or just general functionality (particularly around investments).

Brian



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____