Question about software

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Question about software

Hector I Macedo
I was trying to get a good price on Office 2011 for Mac and run into this site, I did not buy it yet since I'm not familiar with the site, my question is:
How can I check if this is a legit seller?
The site is:

http://www.freewebstore.org/DealsToday/Office_for_Mac_Home___Student_2011_[Download]/p714920_3816023.aspx

Thanks for any guidance.

Hector I Macedo
Dallas, TX 75248
____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about software

Rodney

On Sep 30, 2011, at 6:59 PM, Hector I Macedo wrote:

> I was trying to get a good price on Office 2011 for Mac and run into this site, I did not buy it yet since I'm not familiar with the site, my question is:
> How can I check if this is a legit seller?
> The site is:
>
> http://www.freewebstore.org/DealsToday/Office_for_Mac_Home___Student_2011_[Download]/p714920_3816023.aspx
>
> Thanks for any guidance.

Well, they have been around since 2007, and that is generally a good sign.  This is what “whois” knows about them:

Domain ID:D149352703-LROR
Domain Name:FREEWEBSTORE.ORG
Created On:08-Oct-2007 23:12:11 UTC
Last Updated On:30-Sep-2009 11:57:41 UTC
Expiration Date:08-Oct-2014 23:12:11 UTC
Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)
Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
Status:CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED
Registrant ID:tuyfVhGzVs4pIfCr
Registrant Name:Martin Hermansen
Registrant Organization:Freewebstore Ltd
Registrant Street1:29 Wood Street
Registrant Street2:Hapton
Registrant Street3:
Registrant City:Burnley
Registrant State/Province:Lancashire
Registrant Postal Code:BB127JU
Registrant Country:GB
Registrant Phone:+44.8450522450
Registrant Phone Ext.:
Registrant FAX:
Registrant FAX Ext.:
Registrant Email:
Admin ID:tuPpGXjkEJD0rWXL
Admin Name:Martin Hermansen
Admin Organization:Freewebstore Ltd
Admin Street1:29 Wood Street
Admin Street2:Hapton
Admin Street3:
Admin City:Burnley
Admin State/Province:Lancashire
Admin Postal Code:BB127JU
Admin Country:GB
Admin Phone:+44.8450522450
Admin Phone Ext.:
Admin FAX:
Admin FAX Ext.:
Admin Email:
Tech ID:tug42voWwXKj7sXt
Tech Name:Martin Hermansen
Tech Organization:Freewebstore Ltd
Tech Street1:29 Wood Street
Tech Street2:Hapton
Tech Street3:
Tech City:Burnley
Tech State/Province:Lancashire
Tech Postal Code:BB127JU
Tech Country:GB
Tech Phone:+44.8450522450
Tech Phone Ext.:
Tech FAX:
Tech FAX Ext.:
Tech Email:
Name Server:NS.123-REG.CO.UK
Name Server:NS2.123-REG.CO.UK

How did you hear about the site? If you heard via spam, run away.

On Amazon and Newegg, the software is $100.  It is £70.80 on amazon.co.uk.  If this site is offering a big discount, then I’d personally be nervous.  If you’re buying a thousand copies, it might be worthwhile to do a lot of shopping around.  However, for one copy I’d personally pay a bit extra for the peace of mind I get dealing with a company whose reputation I know.  This is especially true when shopping online.

Rodney

____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about software

David Rostenne
I'd assume it is a scam as well, as they are offering "Download Only" products, which are normally sold in a box. Email them and ask them to provide their Microsoft Partner/Reseller ID for verification.

Cheers,

Dave


On 30-September-2011, at 2:14 PM, Rodney wrote:

>
> On Sep 30, 2011, at 6:59 PM, Hector I Macedo wrote:
>
>> I was trying to get a good price on Office 2011 for Mac and run into this site, I did not buy it yet since I'm not familiar with the site, my question is:
>> How can I check if this is a legit seller?
>> The site is:
>>
>> http://www.freewebstore.org/DealsToday/Office_for_Mac_Home___Student_2011_[Download]/p714920_3816023.aspx
>>
>> Thanks for any guidance.
>
> Well, they have been around since 2007, and that is generally a good sign.  This is what “whois” knows about them:
>
> Domain ID:D149352703-LROR
> Domain Name:FREEWEBSTORE.ORG
> Created On:08-Oct-2007 23:12:11 UTC
> Last Updated On:30-Sep-2009 11:57:41 UTC
> Expiration Date:08-Oct-2014 23:12:11 UTC
> Sponsoring Registrar:Tucows Inc. (R11-LROR)
> Status:CLIENT TRANSFER PROHIBITED
> Status:CLIENT UPDATE PROHIBITED
> Registrant ID:tuyfVhGzVs4pIfCr
> Registrant Name:Martin Hermansen
> Registrant Organization:Freewebstore Ltd
> Registrant Street1:29 Wood Street
> Registrant Street2:Hapton
> Registrant Street3:
> Registrant City:Burnley
> Registrant State/Province:Lancashire
> Registrant Postal Code:BB127JU
> Registrant Country:GB
> Registrant Phone:+44.8450522450
> Registrant Phone Ext.:
> Registrant FAX:
> Registrant FAX Ext.:
> Registrant Email:
> Admin ID:tuPpGXjkEJD0rWXL
> Admin Name:Martin Hermansen
> Admin Organization:Freewebstore Ltd
> Admin Street1:29 Wood Street
> Admin Street2:Hapton
> Admin Street3:
> Admin City:Burnley
> Admin State/Province:Lancashire
> Admin Postal Code:BB127JU
> Admin Country:GB
> Admin Phone:+44.8450522450
> Admin Phone Ext.:
> Admin FAX:
> Admin FAX Ext.:
> Admin Email:
> Tech ID:tug42voWwXKj7sXt
> Tech Name:Martin Hermansen
> Tech Organization:Freewebstore Ltd
> Tech Street1:29 Wood Street
> Tech Street2:Hapton
> Tech Street3:
> Tech City:Burnley
> Tech State/Province:Lancashire
> Tech Postal Code:BB127JU
> Tech Country:GB
> Tech Phone:+44.8450522450
> Tech Phone Ext.:
> Tech FAX:
> Tech FAX Ext.:
> Tech Email:
> Name Server:NS.123-REG.CO.UK
> Name Server:NS2.123-REG.CO.UK
>
> How did you hear about the site? If you heard via spam, run away.
>
> On Amazon and Newegg, the software is $100.  It is £70.80 on amazon.co.uk.  If this site is offering a big discount, then I’d personally be nervous.  If you’re buying a thousand copies, it might be worthwhile to do a lot of shopping around.  However, for one copy I’d personally pay a bit extra for the peace of mind I get dealing with a company whose reputation I know.  This is especially true when shopping online.
>
> Rodney
>
> ____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
> Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
> Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
> Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
> Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
> Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
> Unsubscribe at: tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
> ____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____

--
David Rostenne
Computer Consulting
Cell: 613-262-4705


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about software

George Wade
In reply to this post by Hector I Macedo
On 30/09/2011 09:59, Hector I Macedo wrote:
> I was trying to get a good price on Office 2011 for Mac and run into this site...
>
> http://www.freewebstore.org/DealsToday/Office_for_Mac_Home___Student_2011_[Download]/p714920_3816023.aspx
>
> Thanks for any guidance.
>
> Hector I Macedo
> Dallas, TX 75248
Looks like the Mac Home or Student version with restricted permitted use
and updates.  Fancy kind of trial version, also available from Microsoft
direct?
____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about software

Neil Laubenthal
In reply to this post by Hector I Macedo
It's the student version which isn't eligible for any upgrade to Office Whatever comes next . . .and since they're claiming download only I would suspect that it's probably a scam. There's always Open Office for free or Pages/Numbers for not much . . .most of us don't really need all the stuff that Office does anyway.


On Sep 30, 2011, at 12:59 PM, Hector I Macedo wrote:

> I was trying to get a good price on Office 2011 for Mac and run into this site, I did not buy it yet since I'm not familiar with the site, my question is:
> How can I check if this is a legit seller?
> The site is:
>
> http://www.freewebstore.org/DealsToday/Office_for_Mac_Home___Student_2011_[Download]/p714920_3816023.aspx
>


-----------------------------------------------
There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about software

Diane Ross
On 9/30/11 1:33 PM, "Neil Laubenthal" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>It's the student version which isn't eligible for any upgrade to Office
>Whatever comes next . . .and since they're claiming download only I would
>suspect that it's probably a scam. There's always Open Office for free or
>Pages/Numbers for not much . . .most of us don't really need all the
>stuff that Office does anyway.

Since Microsoft moved to a download version from the Microsoft Store, it
could be a legitimate purchase, but I have not seen any other vendors sell
anything other than the box set.

Starting with Office 2011 you can use the CD key from a retail box to
activate the trial version.

https://www.microsoft.com/mac/trial

H&S is not the same as the Academic version. H&S does not include Outlook.
Academic includes Outlook. H&S comes with either a 1 install or 3 install.
Academic can only be installed on one computer and if that computer is
replaced or you replace the drive, you cannot install a second time.

See this chart to compare options in different versions.

http://www.office.mvps.org/version/index.html#versions

If your school offers Microsoft Office for free or at little cost, then
you will have to remove the free trial before installing the special
version from your school.

Students don't pay full price. Check out your options at the Microsoft
Student store:
http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msstore/html/pbPage.LearnMore/CustomPag
e
 


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Question about software

William M. Smith
In reply to this post by Hector I Macedo
On 9/30/11 11:59 AM, "Hector I Macedo" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>How can I check if this is a legit seller?

I use a bogus online persona to get to the part where the website asks for
a credit card. Legitimate sites should be HTTPS encrypted and have a valid
SSL certificate. This site passes its payments over to authorize.net
<http://authorize.net>, which does have a valid certificate with
Entrust.net <http://Entrust.net>. This may very well be a legitimate site
with a really good deal.

Personally, though, I don't trust sites that have Google ads for similar
products alongside their own product. This may be an attempt to persuade
you their deal is really good but it just doesn't make sense to me. And
while this site does offer a street address it doesn't offer a telephone
number to verify the business exists.

I prefer to use my credit card on sites that don't make me question their
trustworthiness.

--

William Smith


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Loading...