1 message Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Nota Bene…Oops

"John Turner the Bear😎"
Steve,

I have the new version of Nota Bene now. It will not directly import a docx or RTF file but it will allow you to Paste into it and so far the formatting is pretty well maintained. Now if I can only get Word to let me select the entire document and copy it I may get rid of Word tonight. The standard select all does not do the job, it does not select the footnotes and the other goodies like that when you select all. Curious. I am looking for a solution to that now. I have never had the need to select everything before.

Bear😎

On Jul 7, 2017, 3:28 PM -0400, Stephen DeGiulio <[hidden email]>, wrote:

Bear,

You’re right, but I don’t know if the new import/export capability will include all the NB features—but I hope so too.

Take care,

Steve

Stephen DeGiulio, Ph.D.

Prof. Adult Ed/Engl/TESOL

DACC, NMSU

Director, Literacy Volunteers of Doña Ana County

575-527-7641

“Don't limit a child to your own learning, for she was born in another time.”

Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941)

Sent: Friday, July 7, 2017 12:59 PM
To: Stephen DeGiulio <[hidden email]>
Subject: RE: Nota Bene…Oops

Steve the good news is that the new version, if I read their site correctly will import both docx and doc formats. The trial copy is old and will not do that. I have sent a request to see if I can get a trial of the new version to try it out. If it does work, Word is gone!

Bear
😎

On Jul 7, 2017, 10:40 AM -0400, Stephen DeGiulio <[hidden email]>, wrote:

Bear, Adam,

Sorry, I didn’t mention a gotcha that would be important for many potential users (I’m not a software guy, just a user). NB does not convert WORD files directly to its own system in the case of complicated files. Simple text will move over easily in a couple of ways, paste, import, and so on.

I worked with WORD and Endnote for some time, and was frustrated by many things. When I moved to NB I had complicated docs with references and foot/endnotes that I wanted to open and work on in NB. I did it, but it is not a quick or easy process (It’s explained in some of the tutorial videos on the NB Site—I think they can also be accessed from within the program).

Not being very techie, this took me longer than it would others, since I had to digest new concepts of how software deals with language.

This process involves transferring your database of references into NB’s integrated reference db (a much better and more powerful and flexible one, I must say), not a simple and automatic process, but not bad, either. Then you need to delete each citation in the new .NB doc converted from your original .DOCX doc and insert the .NB citation, and then the list of references will be generated in whatever academic style you are using, and the citations can be moved around and edited without any problems in the .NB doc. (if your baby is rejected by one publisher, you can instantly change the style to that required by another, notes, citations, and all . . .)

I found the process useful, since it forced me to reevaluate each citation, dropping some and adding others, as well as critically re-reading my text and making improvements. (When I handed my dissertation draft to the university editor for approval, it was in my inbox, with no changes required, when I got back to my desk).

The result is that I then had a functioning and more powerful db of references that meshed with my .NB texts and also housed my notes and quotes from the works cited for easy insertion to any future .NB documents.

As far as going the other way, if needed, the conversion from an .NB document to WORD .PDF (or other formats) is easy and automatic, with correct notes, references, citations, and academic style, but the resulting document cannot be edited further in NB.

So, if a final output is required in WORD, that needs to be the last stage, with any final editing done in WORD by hand. (In my view, another forced proofing read, which I always need!)

And, as I mentioned to Adam, NB has the capacity to deal (sometimes with add-ons) with text in languages using non-roman scripts, even the IPA.

(I believe its ability to search and import text from an unlimited number of .docx, .doc, .pdf, etc. files is unique; they call it a textbase and yes, it’s an add-on!  Searching a large collection of articles and/or books in different formats and having the results pop up in an easy to use window that gives immediate access to the texts containing the search string for referencing or quoting is incredible.)

Bear, support is not always within a day, but it can be, even on weekends and holidays, and they are always helpful, even when the answer is somewhere in the 600+ pages of documentation . . .

Take care,

Steve

Stephen DeGiulio, Ph.D.

Prof. Adult Ed/Engl/TESOL

DACC, NMSU

Director, Literacy Volunteers of Doña Ana County

575-527-7641

“Don't limit a child to your own learning, for she was born in another time.”

Rabindranath Tagore (1861-1941)

Sent: Thursday, July 6, 2017 7:05 PM
To: Stephen DeGiulio <[hidden email]>
Subject: Nota Bene…

Hi Steve!

I tried Nota on my Mac today, because it seemed to be what I was looking for. I could not get it to open my docx files. I kept getting messages that the name had characters that could not be used or that the name was to long. I changed the file name to two letters and the docx file name but could never get it to open.

Am I missing out on something? I have never used a PC app before and never on a Mac. I deleted the app and reinstalled it hoping that it had just been a bad install…made 0 difference. I contacted their support but got no answer. Tell me, will Nota Bene open a docx file or am I just dreaming? If it will this app is just what I need!

Thanks much for any help that you can render! Thanks also for the suggestion even if it will not work for me.

Bear
😎

____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____