Excel 2008 and Network Connections

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
5 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Excel 2008 and Network Connections

Neil Laubenthal
Anybody know of a way to get Excel (2008) to not ask me if it should accept incoming network connections at every launch? I normally run with a non admin account and have tried adding it to the Firewall pane of System Preferences with block, looked at all the preferences in Excel but no luck so far.

Googling indicates it's due to not being signed……so I’m guessing it’s not fixable. Running on a MBP Mid 2015 up to date Sierra.

Personally I would just give up on Microsoft and use Pages…but my esteemed spousal unit will squawk about that…

Thanks.

-----------------------------------------------
There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil






____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Excel 2008 and Network Connections

John Burt

On Fri, Jun 9, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Neil Laubenthal <[hidden email]> wrote:

Personally I would just give up on Microsoft and use Pages…but my esteemed spousal unit will squawk about that…


​Just passing on some experience. Pages will disappear eventually and the files will no longer be readable. Almost all Apple software I've used since the Mac II has disappeared or changed to the point that the files can no longer be read. Whereas the Excel (and Word) files from the same era are still still readable. I use one of them daily.


--
John



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Excel 2008 and Network Connections

Neil Laubenthal
Yeah…there is that but I figure if Pages and Numbers ever actually died I would export to something current.


On Jun 9, 2017, at 8:59 PM, SciFiOneA . <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just passing on some experience. Pages will disappear eventually and the files will no longer be readable.


-----------------------------------------------
There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil






____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Excel 2008 and Network Connections

Fritz Mills
There’s always Open Office. It will probably be around for a long time, simply because it’s open source.


On Jun 10, 2017, at 4:21 PM, Neil Laubenthal <[hidden email]> wrote:

Yeah…there is that but I figure if Pages and Numbers ever actually died I would export to something current.


On Jun 9, 2017, at 8:59 PM, SciFiOneA . <[hidden email]> wrote:

Just passing on some experience. Pages will disappear eventually and the files will no longer be readable.


-----------------------------------------------
There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil





____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Excel 2008 and Network Connections

Neil Laubenthal
She likes that even less than Pages/Numbers. 

I went ahead and installed Office 2011…forgot she had gotten a license through her former college job that was good for either Mac or Windows versions…so the immediate problem is fixed.

On Jun 11, 2017, at 1:35 PM, Fritz Mills <[hidden email]> wrote:

There’s always Open Office


-----------------------------------------------
There are only three kinds of stress; your basic nuclear stress, cooking stress, and A$$hole stress. The key to their relationship is Jello.

neil






____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____