Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?

Mike Noonan-2
Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?  I haven't found the hidden token.

TIA MIke


____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?

Al Varnell
Since Maps does not posses full browser capabilities (simply using WebKit framework to render pages as does Apple Mail, the AppStore, etc.) I can't imagine how this would be a good idea, although I’m sure you could hack the preference that would allow it.

Please share you would possibly hope to gain by doing this.

Sent from my iPad

-Al-

On Feb 7, 2018, at 5:39 PM, Mike Noonan wrote:
> Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?  I haven't found the hidden token.
>
> TIA MIke



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?

Mike Noonan-2
Ah, good question.
Backing up to a scenario: say I’m using a browser or an email message to find something and a link to “view map” is displayed.  I’d be happy to launch Apple Maps and not embed the map in the browser but I prefer Maps to Google.  

However, I looked at one of the email the link contents and did not see a direct link to Google.  Instead the link referred back to the website displaying the email page which I presume then launches a browser directive to call up google maps.  That w/b near impossible to parse the link gibberish to redirect to Apple Maps.

I suppose there is an indirect solution but it won’t sell iPhones, i.e., a  low probability of anything happening.

Thanks anyway.  Mike


On Feb 7, 2018, at 6:08 PM, Al Varnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

Since Maps does not posses full browser capabilities (simply using WebKit framework to render pages as does Apple Mail, the AppStore, etc.) I can't imagine how this would be a good idea, although I’m sure you could hack the preference that would allow it.

Please share you would possibly hope to gain by doing this.

Sent from my iPad

-Al-

On Feb 7, 2018, at 5:39 PM, Mike Noonan wrote:
> Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?  I haven't found the hidden token.
>
> TIA MIke



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?

Curtis Wilcox
You could campaign for the establishment of a map: protocol, syntax, and protocol handlers. On computers with a dedicated map application, like macOS's Maps.app, obviously that would be the default handler. Ideally a web browser could be set as the handler and would have a setting for defining a map web site to use, similar to how they have a default site for web searches (it would also be cool if there was a standard way to set your webmail as the handler for the mailto protocol).

The syntax part wouldn't necessarily have to be defined at all, whatever string follows the protocol will be a query to the map handler that will do what it can with it; if the string is single pair of latitude and longitude coordinates, the map will center on that, ditto for a street address or a pair of cross streets or even the name of a city. Maybe a convention could be established where two pairs of lat & long would be treated as the top left and bottom right corners, effectively defining a zoom level, and adding a third pair would be where a pin is placed.

Googling make your own protocol handler turns up articles about doing this just for yourself.

Apple already has data detectors that try to recognize addresses so you can click them and open a map at that location. 

You could probably write a browser extension that could "hijack" Google Maps urls and send their query to Maps.app instead. You'd probably have to also do the protocol and handler stuff at the OS level to get out of the browser's sandbox.

On Feb 7, 2018, at 10:44 PM, Mike Noonan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ah, good question.
Backing up to a scenario: say I’m using a browser or an email message to find something and a link to “view map” is displayed.  I’d be happy to launch Apple Maps and not embed the map in the browser but I prefer Maps to Google.  

However, I looked at one of the email the link contents and did not see a direct link to Google.  Instead the link referred back to the website displaying the email page which I presume then launches a browser directive to call up google maps.  That w/b near impossible to parse the link gibberish to redirect to Apple Maps.

I suppose there is an indirect solution but it won’t sell iPhones, i.e., a  low probability of anything happening.

Thanks anyway.  Mike


On Feb 7, 2018, at 6:08 PM, Al Varnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

Since Maps does not posses full browser capabilities (simply using WebKit framework to render pages as does Apple Mail, the AppStore, etc.) I can't imagine how this would be a good idea, although I’m sure you could hack the preference that would allow it.

Please share you would possibly hope to gain by doing this.




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?

sinarades
In reply to this post by Mike Noonan-2
I’m not sure this answers your question but I have found the menu bar app “PopClip” to be helpful. It works in Chrome and Mail and possibly other applications.  I have not tried to use it with other browsers but I believe that’s doable.

Selecting a word or place name gives a choice of actions: open link; a search engine (I have preselected Duck Duck Go); cut; copy; paste; reveal in finder; use address; dictionary; search; google map; and google images.  

More are available via this URL which displays a comprehensive list of PopClip extensions:  https://pilotmoon.com/popclip/extensions/ 

At the bottom of this web page it suggests you can create your own extensions via https://github.com/pilotmoon/PopClip-Extensions 

I have not explored the option of customizing an extension but perhaps it is possible to link to Apple maps.

NDuke

On Feb 7, 2018, at 7:44 PM, Mike Noonan <[hidden email]> wrote:

Ah, good question.
Backing up to a scenario: say I’m using a browser or an email message to find something and a link to “view map” is displayed.  I’d be happy to launch Apple Maps and not embed the map in the browser but I prefer Maps to Google.  

However, I looked at one of the email the link contents and did not see a direct link to Google.  Instead the link referred back to the website displaying the email page which I presume then launches a browser directive to call up google maps.  That w/b near impossible to parse the link gibberish to redirect to Apple Maps.

I suppose there is an indirect solution but it won’t sell iPhones, i.e., a  low probability of anything happening.

Thanks anyway.  Mike


On Feb 7, 2018, at 6:08 PM, Al Varnell <[hidden email]> wrote:

Since Maps does not posses full browser capabilities (simply using WebKit framework to render pages as does Apple Mail, the AppStore, etc.) I can't imagine how this would be a good idea, although I’m sure you could hack the preference that would allow it.

Please share you would possibly hope to gain by doing this.

Sent from my iPad

-Al-

On Feb 7, 2018, at 5:39 PM, Mike Noonan wrote:
Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?  I haven't found the hidden token.

TIA MIke



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____




____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?

Marilyn Matty
In reply to this post by Mike Noonan-2



Sent from my iPad
On Feb 7, 2018, at 10:44 PM, Mike Noonan <[hidden email]> wrote:


I suppose there is an indirect solution but it won’t sell iPhones, i.e., a  low probability of anything happening.


Google is currently is paying Apple $3 billion to be the default search engine in iOS. It's a nice chunk of change for the Services division, and it's likely to go up in the future. I'll bet that Part of the deal is that Maps is not the default from within Safari.


Marilyn



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?

Al Varnell
No, that doesn't really play an role in what app is used. There isn't any such thing as a default Map app, it's strictly a function of which app the specific web page directs you to.

-Al-

On Wed, Feb 07, 2018 at 09:30 PM, Marilyn Matty wrote:
I'll bet that Part of the deal is that Maps is not the default from within Safari.



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Any way to set Apple Maps as the default browser app for Firefox or Safari?

adamengst
Administrator
In reply to this post by Curtis Wilcox
Googling make your own protocol handler turns up articles about doing this just for yourself.

Apple already has data detectors that try to recognize addresses so you can click them and open a map at that location. 

You could probably write a browser extension that could "hijack" Google Maps urls and send their query to Maps.app instead. You'd probably have to also do the protocol and handler stuff at the OS level to get out of the browser's sandbox.


Choosy might be able to do this, since it’s designed to send specific URLs to other apps.


cheers... -Adam



____________TidBITS Talk Participation Guidelines____________
Post only when you have something substantive to contribute.
Be polite and constructive, and comment on posts, not people.
Quote sparingly, if at all. We all read the previous message.
Start threads with a new message to [hidden email].
Read archives at: http://tidbits.com/pipermail/tidbits-talk/
Unsubscribe at: http://tidbits.com/mailman/options/tidbits-talk
____Mailing List Manners: http://tidbits.com/series/1141 ____